SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just received an email from netwhistle.com informing me that their free service is going to be no longer.

How many more before the end of the year?

junkyrddog's Other Half emmester's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do they offer?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a website monitoring service.
    The Baltimore Orioles Nest - http://www.oriolesnest.com

junkyrddog's Other Half emmester's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, that's cool...well, not anymore.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netwhistle is great it warns you if your site is down! Will anyone here consider paying for the service?

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not when we have http://www.qwkmon.com!

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was out of commission for a couple of months and although I wasn't surprised, I was disappointed at the emails awaiting me telling me of the free sites/utilities that now want to charge ~ I am going to have to go through my 2,000+ bookmarks and check to see what other sites have closed down from resources to utilities to informative sites.

Advertising was 'running the train' so to speak, but if you can't offer a $$ service ALONG SIDE a free service, the future isn't so bright for web sites relying on only offering things for free.

Besides NetWhistle and MyComputer which are now paid services, the other site that I liked to frequently use was ZyWorld Web & Graphics ~ I didn't use the web site feature ONLY the graphic generator. Even though I always use PhotoShop and ULead PhotoImpact, in addition to other software to create graphics.

I am now starting a list of all the free resources that I use and make sure that I don't become too dependent on them ~ although this hurts those just starting out in web design. I have really used the free resources in order to try out the various services and then shift to a more dependable web site.

Now I just hope that SiteMeter that I use for my hit counter isn't the next one to go paid ~ although the webmaster Dave Smith did tell me that the invisible feature may become a $$ service in the near future.....

In all, I can't see the average/beginner web site developer paying monthly for all the multiple services on top of hosting when their incoming revenue is limited.....

Just some thoughts ~ WebKat

BTW ~ MoreOver has changed it's format and I can't log in any more. Does anyone know how to do this?? You used to be able to modify your newsfeed and as my email has changed I wanted to update this.....
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well in a few years when Microsoft's .Net strategy is implemented they might make users pay for hotmail also by dragging them all in a package deal

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another alternative to the paid service at netwhistle is www.serverrat.com for thos that like having this kind of service.

rgds,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the NetWhistle message, as well, the other day. Sad , but I'm glad there are free alternatives. And that service was nice, but I can live without it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We *all* have to acknowledge that free sites are great but can be very hard for them to keep their services going *unless* there is some very good ability to generate revenue. MyDomain is a great free redirection service which was recently bought out by another larger established company that *did have* revenue, which made is possible to subsidize MyDomain in order to keep offering services without charging any $$$.....

In saying that, this doesn't mean that this website won't be forced to charge $$ in the future, but at least it has a better chance to keep offering their redirection services free.....

.....We *all* have to also admit that with the ongoing growth and size of the internet there will always be alternatives to utilities & services when they cease to exist without spending an arm and a leg.....it just is a nuisance when this happens updating websites ~

{Promo}
    Which makes it so important to keep coming back to SitePoint and our Forums because you always can be on the cutting-edge of new technology and find out all the exciting web news from our members.....I have never found so many great resources as I have here!
    {End of Promo}
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cooltext (http://cooltext.com) offers a still-free button and logo generation service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Free Site Bites the Dust.....

eCircles is another free discussion forum site that will be shutting down this Sunday, April 15th.....

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO MEMBERS

I regret to inform you that the eCircles.com web site will permanently shut down on April 15, 2001 and will no longer be available thereafter. The market downturn of the last 12 months made it increasingly difficult to cover the costs of operating the eCircles site.

If there is data in your circles that you wish to keep, please log on to retrieve it before April 15th. I've included instructions below.

We truly appreciate your patronage over the last several years and we hope you'll continue to find ways to stay connected with your friends and families.

Sincerely,
    Prescott Lee
    President & CEO
    eCircles.com
    From eCircle's once active homepage:
    "Selected by PC World as the "Best Online Community Site" and by Technologic Partners as "Most Likely to Succeed" through its Investors Choice award, we enable real-life circles of friends to share and interact on the Web!"
    =====>> This will undoubtedly be a continuous thread as familiar websites, especially those offering free services & resources, close their doors.....even those that seemed to have great potential just can't make it on advertising alone or even a big company behind them!

The Internet is definitely at a crossroads.....WebKat