SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Floating main content?

I'm redeigning our company website and im looking to go the tableless route. I would like to have the main site contents floaing kinda like what ALA (www.alistapart.com) has. I have most of the basics down but im kinda getting stuck with this. Anyone want to point me in the right direction or have any tips? Thanks!

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

If you show us what you've got so far then we'll tell you what to do with it (nicely of course .

If you just want to know how to centre it then theres a section in the faq sticky thread that shows you how to centre a fixed with site and gives the fixes for ie5.

Have a read and if you need more help then just shout.

Other than that the alistapart site is pretty straightforward. Its just split into 2 columns. I havent checked the code but as it has a footer then one (or possibly both) columns are floated. If you float both columns then you avoid ies 3 pixel jog.

The right column is probably a repeating bg gif with border to give the illusion of a full column. The background looks a bg image placed with fixed positioning.

Is that what you wanted to know

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply,

I actaully found what I was looking for in your post on this thread reguarding the 2 column layout.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149611

Everything is working out great in firefox, but im having some problems with IE displaying everything correctly. I'll post my project in a couple days when I have a little more content. Thanks again!