SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In talking to Tera-byte, their main concern is the load these types of programs bring to the servers. Here is a couple of quotes from their response:

"There are no known problems with vbulletin. The only thing to keep in mind
    is that you would be on a shared server so you must keep your site's CPU
    usage, memory usage and database access reasonable. MySQL can be used for
    two scripts at the same time."

"Reasonable cpu usage means the serveris able to handle it. If your bulliten
    board takes up a lot of resources, the server itself will have problems
    functioning. These boards are okay to start, but as the frequency increases,
    so does the load average. If you are expecting high growth, then the shared
    plans on our servers may not be the right option for you.
    Brenda"

So, in the back of my mind I wonder if having three scripts like this (three scripts: e-classifieds, indexu, vbulletin) on one site will use too many resources. I can just imagine getting kicked off after 6 months.

Here's one ideas I want to throw at all of you. What if I split up the three programs into two or three different sites and linking the sites together. Does this sound silly? I would start with e-Classifieds and then as I add program, I add another host account and link them together. The thought is that it would give me more control over managing problems. A hundred bucks gets you a lot these days (for hosting). There might be a reason for separating the programs to be able to handle problems with either program bugs, server problems, high CPU useage, etc. I just don't know if I'm going to be inviting new problems by doing this (speed, maybe). What do you think?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a site eating up resources like that would either be caused due to poorly written code or WAY TOO MUCH ACTIVITY

now, way too much activity means a few database queries every second ... and that means a LOT of hits a month ...

Generally, if you reach that level, you would probably want a dedicated machine... and that would be a few hundred thousand hits a month...

but thats my opinion.. the issue is subject

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with your second plan, if you're not close to dedicated yet, use more servers, so the resource from one account is much lower than it would be with 3 in 1!
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy