SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you getting this? The toolbar is known to guess PR on occassion, but as far as actual PR is concerned, you get it the same way you normally. I've never seen anything that proves directory structure actually influences SERPs.

I don't see why it would, do you? How would that help show what content is most relevant? That's an internal decision that doesn't dictate relevance of content. Links do, though, so I'd be more inclined to believe that PR is divided by links alone and that directory structure is irrelevant. And evidence I've seen seems to agree.

In terms of the link titles -- have you ever seen the title attribute help Google understand the context of a link? No offense, but how you feel about something can be very different from what actually occurs.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

SEO Link Building Master I, Brian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because the toolbar guesses a PR value, doesn't mean to say that the page actually has that value.
    Internet Business Forums - free business help & advice

SitePoint Wizard Pedro Monteiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBF
    In response to fatnewt:

If the inner child page has no links from external sites, then it will normally inherit the parent's PageRank, n-1 style. Eg: www.example.org may be PR7, www.example.org/new_content.html will get PR6.

And yes, I am referring to the title attribute of HREFs. I feel these do help Google understand the context of your links.
    I have actually stated this in the past has well, but the effect the anchor title attribute has on google is not very clear.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed at the obsession with links here, since that's NOT the most important thing with Google. If it were, explain how I can have pages that rank very well but have very few links to them.

PageRank is also overrated as far as its importance in how well you do in the search results.

SitePoint Wizard Pedro Monteiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    flyer727, it's not about quantity, it's about the importance of the pages that link to you.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyer727
    I'm amazed at the obsession with links here, since that's NOT the most important thing with Google. If it were, explain how I can have pages that rank very well but have very few links to them.
    There can be a variety of explanation, none of which diminish the value of incomming links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you know about "nigritude ultramarine". If you dont and if you do, this is a very good link about it.

http://www.nigritudeultramarines.com/

I think that s the best explanation about what happen in the SEO real world.

regards,
    ---
    Dano De Weert
    ---

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious... what are back links? I've looked alot of places and can't find what it means .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Backlinks are links on other websites pointing towards your own. They are also known as Incomming links.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Altrough it is pretty difficult with flash menus to let bots navigate your website
    When you know, then you know you dont know.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh... I see . Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about reciprocal linking? Does Google gives a site higher rank and therefore more traffic if your site has a linking resource page or a linking directory? (Let's just say we don't count the traffic when users visits a link page and click on an URL.)

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Google doesn't give you any credit (or penalty) for linking out... you only gain rank by getting links in from other sites.

(Although if you really want to get into it, linking out decreases the value of each link back to pages within your own site, therefore decreasing your overall PageRank average compared to if you had no links out... but don't worry too much about that--just try to have more internal links than external ones on each page if you're concerned.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojhan
    Altrough it is pretty difficult with flash menus to let bots navigate your website
    Then add an HTML-based navigation system elsewhere on your site. Flash is meant to have an HTML alternate anyway; why would you alienate people who choose to disable Flash? (And don't give me that "who would disable Flash?" line. Lots of businesses disable plugins for security purposes.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Then add an HTML-based navigation system elsewhere on your site. Flash is meant to have an HTML alternate anyway; why would you alienate people who choose to disable Flash? (And don't give me that "who would disable Flash?" line. Lots of businesses disable plugins for security purposes.)
    Or just don't have it installed like my Mom's browser or my Linux install here at work.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, well that is indeed a possble option, it was just an example for people who really implent everything in there site with flash. Altrough thats never a good option.
    When you know, then you know you dont know.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are Webrings a source of external links? are they of any use?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Webrings, although unprofessional looking, are an excellent way to get incomming links.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojhan
    Indeed, well that is indeed a possble option, it was just an example for people who really implent everything in there site with flash. Altrough thats never a good option.
    Most people building Flash sites know that search engines have a hard time indexing their content. If they don't know, they'll learn it the hard way .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first of all choose your domain rigjht! is better if include your key word, for exemple if your key word is cosmetic surgery you could choose something like cosmetic-surgery-doctors.com/info/org !got it?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just to add another perspective- inbound links, directories and unique content. Not the type that is cut and pasted from other sites. the latest research I read is yahoo looks for articles approximately 942 words in length and google is 1200 words to be considered relevant. key word density varies.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google penalized me on one of my sites. I had a good ranking but I added a link to each of my sites on each page. Well I think they saw it as spam and now I'm struggling to get back my good ranking. I still get good traffic from MSN & Yahoo.... So I'm trying to ensure I have good content and am trying to get backlinks where appropriate.
    Check Engine Light We help with your car's CEL problems

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone mentioned backlinks yet??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    Google penalized me on one of my sites. I had a good ranking but I added a link to each of my sites on each page. Well I think they saw it as spam and now I'm struggling to get back my good ranking. I still get good traffic from MSN & Yahoo.... So I'm trying to ensure I have good content and am trying to get backlinks where appropriate.
    You must be careful, Google could see this as a link farm, a few sites linked together. That IS penalized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis
    back links
    I agree back links is the best approach for fast results