SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paste your links to the site which having more pr, if you paste your link on site having low pr then your site will lose the chances of getting good prů.

SitePoint Wizard Pedro Monteiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryD
    Paste your links to the site which having more pr, if you paste your link on site having low pr then your site will lose the chances of getting good prů.
    Paste?

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Monteiro
    Personally I don't think that content is that relevant to any Search Engine in raw terms. It will be relevant if other webmasters consider it to be.
    In raw terms, Search Engines are designed to find good content. Google uses links as their method, since it's better to trust other Webmasters than the Webmaster of the site being ranked.

As the net evolves, better methods of meeting the goal will be found. But the entire point of a search engine is to find good content. Thus, the best way to achieve good rankings in a Search Engine is to have good content. This will last, long after links are considered an obselete method of determining relevance.

But yes, currently it's up to Webmasters. Google is relying on the nature of a Web content owner -- they'll naturally link to sites that are worth mentioning. It happens. It's why Google works.

But the theory behind it is that plenty of quality links lead to good content.

The purpose of a search engine is to seek out great content and provide access to it to their users. By satisfying the Search Engine's end goal -- by having great content -- you're more likely to rank highly, which in turn satisfies your end goal -- to profit in some way from your site. This will always be the way as long as Search Engines exist. Meta tags, Links, SEO structure... these are all temporary methods of making your content obvious to SEs (or for some, fooling SEs).
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fatnewt, I mean no disrespect, but eventhough the theory and concept you stated is accurate, they do not apply to the current system's real outcome.

Or is this discussion about theory rather then practice?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. A few more links
    2. Don't forget links
    3. Some better quality links here
    4. More links.
    5. Pizza and coke while building more links
    artwork china
    http://artworkcn.meibu.com
    seek sponsor thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artwork
    1. A few more links
    2. Don't forget links
    3. Some better quality links here
    4. More links.
    5. Pizza and coke while building more links
    This sounds somewhat familiar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eventhough the theory and concept you stated is accurate, they do not apply to the current system's real outcome.

Or is this discussion about theory rather then practice?
    Of course they don't apply that well. Search Engines aren't perfect.

And I'd say it's a discussion about both.

And either way... having good content does get you more links and it does get you higher. Not directly, and it doesn't mean its the only way, but if you want to rank highly over the long term, get great content. Get great content now, and then once you have it, continue to grow it and apply short-term SEO practices to help it take off.
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fatnewt, I agree with you, but the only point I was trying to make is that taking into consideration the current system, the quality of the content does not influence directly your PR.

Theoretically, and I agree with your point, it is crucial.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the quality of the content does not influence directly your PR.
    I don't think we're talking about PR, we're talking about ranking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stymiee your correct, just used the wrong technical term there.

Appologize.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only point I was trying to make is that taking into consideration the current system, the quality of the content does not influence directly your PR.
    Agreed. As it stands, there's no accurate way of determining the actual quality of any content with a search robot. So yeah, no direct influence.

I just wanted to make it clear that even though the impact great content has on search rankings isn't direct (as in search engine sees content and ranks higher), it can be more powerful than other SEO techniques.
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be the best at what you do.

Thats what I am talking about. I came in working for this site: www.rovercam.com and try it on google for "costa rica surf report" "costa rica villa rentals" .. etc. We are up there.

WHY? Well this site has quite a history and quite a good following. Not to mention they update the best surf report in the entire world on a daily basis ( no joke .. the competition if any is not even close )

How do I maintain #1 google rankings ?? Just the daily content update !!

There is so many inbound links from so many good sites and so many people who come to us because of the content and becuase they KNOW the content is updated .. thats it. camps full even in low season . I have been at the camp ( its in the middle of nowhere in Costa Rica ) and have guys show up and tell me .. oh yeah "found it on google"

Our numerous inbound links is a direct result of us having the best content for this particular niche. So the best content is not a direct method, but hey, try and beat me out for these keywords. .. seriously, try. I dont even do any work and I will be on top of you. Google likes our site because we have updated the front page 300+ times a year for the last 5+ years. I dont know how they track it .. but they seem to know the difference here.

Eventually and ultimately, good SEO = good content. Obviously there is MUCH more to it than that .. but FATNEWT is right on that point. Content is king and as the search engines get smarter, the better sites will rise and stay at the top.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also want to try submitting to dmoz.org. A dmoz listing used to be good for quite a few backlinks, but I think the effectiveness might be slowing down. (along with the approval time!) Still worth a try though...

Web development Company chrisranjana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes correct ..Nothing to beat good original content
    Chris, Programmer/Developer,
    Laravel Php Developers,
    Ruby on Rails programmers,
    http://www.chrisranjana.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 cents -
    Build a good website with good content and try to get traffic the old-fashioned way. Yes, that means getting other websites to link to you If you're good, it should be easier to have link exchanges. If your website sucks, it gets more difficult. If you're excellent - those links do begin to come on their own. Most of the links to TheCatSite.com were not initiated by us and they're not reciprocal links (which means TCS doesn't link to them). Many of them are just links in forums and such where people recommended the site, or articles from it. It takes time and it does have a viral effect (in the sense that the bigger and better known you get, the more the links come of their own accord).

Which brings me to the last point - give it time. I use the recipe stated above - try to create quality-content sites and exchange links with other related sites. This brings in traffic immidiately and independently from SE's. With time, I always see traffic gradually raising from the SE's. Never fails.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you build your site right, traffic often grows exponentially.

The best part about that is, you don't have to pay or do extra work to maintain it. Once the site has enough traffic, you can just focus on your content.
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google
    Backlinks, Backlinks, Backlinks. Google algorith places great importance on backlinks. The higher the page rank of the site that links to your site, the better. So it's better to have a site with a PR of 7 link to you, than a site with a PR of 3. Look at how many backlinks your competition has, and where they are linking to and that will give you an idea of what you have to aim for.

Also, do the math - a Google AdWord can get you a top spot instantly, and if the financials make sense, then it's a great alternative while you wait for your backlinks network to develop (it takes months and years)

Yahoo
    Yahoo will pick you up eventually. They still place great importance on titles, meta tag descriptions, and content. More than Google - that 's for sure.
    So optimizing your pages for your key words and phrases definitely helps here.

MSN
    Same as Yahoo - optimize your pages for your top 5 keywords, and you will notice the changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stymiee: Like wise content will be meanless if you don't submit your site or have backlinks. SEO, website design, navigation, content, marketing are all important. One will not give work as well by its self as they will all work together.

I still maintain when I hear people saying content is king, or I having gotten any backlinks or did on-page optimization for a year and my site is doing very good, that the site would do better with more optimization, and people won't see the content if you don't submit your site or get backlinks to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Stupid Question

This is probably a stupid question, but when you use the term Anchored Link Text you're talking about the text that you actually click on... i.e. the text <a yada>BETWEEN THE A TAGS</a>...

RIGHT?!?!?!?
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing.
    But it makes you smile when you push them down some stairs.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It often helps to have back links on Web sites which have a close relationship of content similar to your site. Movie review sites linking to DVD shopping sites of those movie titles will be consumed by Google nicely.

Also, try and use brief descriptions in the title tags of your HREFs to help your visitors and Googlebots to understand the context of the linked page. If the link text matches a header of some sort of the target linked page, Google seems to give it more importance.

Use parent directory structures to make the frontpage/base PageRank be inherited to your children files. Eg: www.example.org/products.html would be better than www.example.org/tmp/cms/products.html

Other tips mentioned by others should also be considered, but I find the set of actions I said seem to help Googlebots crawling deeper into a site and also give pages reasonable PageRanks.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBF
    try and use brief descriptions in the title tags of your HREFs to help your visitors and Googlebots to understand the context of the linked page
    To be clear, are you referring to the title attribute of the a element?

<a href="url" title="a title">Link Text</a>

These are great for accessibility, especially when the links aren't descriptive enough. But I have yet to see any evidence that Google considers them.

Quote Originally Posted by TBF
    Use parent directory structures to make the frontpage/base PageRank be inherited to your children files. Eg: www.example.org/products.html would be better than www.example.org/tmp/cms/products.html
    No it wouldn't. PageRank is passed by links. It's irrelevant how many directories it needs to go through. Think about it -- why should that matter? You can set up your page how you want, and that's no indicator of how good your content is.

Your PageRank of your home page will be divided up, adjusted slightly, and divided among the links on that page. Whether the next file is in the same directory, in 200 sub-directories doesn't change that.

The only time that the URL seems to matter is when it contains keywords and becomes the link text of an incoming link.
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havnt read any of the other replies, but, my 2 cents:

While studying in a course around 1 year ago we had a lecture about Google page ranking, and one of the major ways google knows that youre a good and valid source is if OTHER WEBSITES HAVE LINKS TO YOURS. So IMHO if you search for (hypothetically) "Cars" and you have "Cars" in your page title, and lots of other sites with "Cars" in their title have links to yours, you must be a good resource 'ey Thats the main way it works, it is actually quite complex as a whole.

Also, the pagerank works on a scale of either 1-5 or 1-20 (I forget) and it is quite easy to get to the middle area but it becomes increasingly harder to get to the next score as you go higher in the ranking. If you use the google toolbar you can see what ranking the current browsing page has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xyuri
    Also, the pagerank works on a scale of either 1-5 or 1-20 (I forget) and it is quite easy to get to the middle area but it becomes increasingly harder to get to the next score as you go higher in the ranking. If you use the google toolbar you can see what ranking the current browsing page has.
    Toolbar PR shows you a rank from 1-10. It's logarithmic, so yes... the higher numbers have greater distances betweent hem.

The Google Toolbar is presently outdated, though, so do not rely on it for accurate information.
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In response to fatnewt:

If the inner child page has no links from external sites, then it will normally inherit the parent's PageRank, n-1 style. Eg: www.example.org may be PR7, www.example.org/new_content.html will get PR6.

And yes, I am referring to the title attribute of HREFs. I feel these do help Google understand the context of your links.
    Last edited by TBF; Sep 22, 2004 at 11:57. Reason: Grammar fix (under -> understand)