SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me run my idea past you to see if you have some advise to offer. I want to put together a site that will eventually have three scripts installed. I have no real experience with a site like this (just basic html), so on one hand I like the opportunity to learn, but fearful of biting off more than I can chew on the other.

First, I'm looking at hosting with Tera-byte.com because of the generous transfer.

The first script is a classified ad script, e-classifieds. It is in Perl.

The second is an link indexing script in PHP,Indexu.

The third is this bulletin board, vBulletin, written in PHP, of course.

Is it stupid to put all three of these programs in one site? Is it possible? Is there something I should consider before proceeding? Is there any advice you can offer before I spend any more time thinking about this?

BTW- this is my first post, but I've been lurking here and there.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without being an absolute guru with this stuff, I'd say you would be better off finding a PHP-based ad shuffler. (Or alternately finding Perl replacementsfor the other two scripts)

As I understand it, your web server won't have to work as hard if it doesn't have to swap between Perl interpreters and PHP, so things should run faster and smoother. But I would guess there must be thousands of sites already successfully running exactly the combination of scripting that you mentioned, so it should work.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be no problems at all running multiple scripts. You may also want to check out Aplushosting at aplushosting.com. They have been really great to this point.

Vbulletin is by far the best forum I have ever used or seen. You may want to check out phpBazar for a classifieds script,(http://www.netone.at) and phpLinks at (phplinks.org) for a links indexing system.

Good luck,

-JRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i myself am about to check out indexu, you shouldn't have a problem really with using those scripts. if they use a members database, you might want to look into how easy or hard it would be to incorporate one members datatase with thos scripts. i wanted to keep one members database for my site, so a user will only have to sign up once. you might want to think about that too. i started with w3t and i built all of my scripts for my web page around that. so a user who registers on one of my sites will be able to use all of the features that i offer with out having to register again and again.
    I will Tell you what is wrong with your website and maybe what you can do to make it better.
    Professional Web Site Reviews ... Usability ...
    Contact Me god@stillsucks.com for more information ...
    look at my other reviews, to see what i have done.