User Tag List

Thread: Copy protection

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copy protection

There are several products around that promise to protect content from being copied, like http://www.antssoft.com/htmlprotector/ for example. I know that these techniques are not foolproof, but I would still like to implement them on a CMS that I am developing.

Rather than buy such a product however - which may well have practical or licence limitations - I would prefer to implement such copy protection directly. How do I do that though? There seems to be more than JS involved.

Thanks ...

Richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what exactly are you trying to protect... and what level of protection are you expecting?
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kish
    what exactly are you trying to protect... and what level of protection are you expecting?
    Thanks for the reply.

Pretty much everything that products like HTMLprotector can do!

I am particularly interested in preventing text copy from the browser, and also in HTML encryption techniques which still enable the text to be readable in the browser.

I know that practically any copy-protection scheme can be 'hacked', but even so some security measures would be useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rprosser
    Thanks for the reply.

Pretty much everything that products like HTMLprotector can do!

I am particularly interested in preventing text copy from the browser, and also in HTML encryption techniques which still enable the text to be readable in the browser.

I know that practically any copy-protection scheme can be 'hacked', but even so some security measures would be useful.
    Mate, forget it - its really not worth the trouble. You can employ javscript to prevent text copy from the browser - but what if ur user turns javascript off?
    You can also encode your html so its not immediately readable by humans - but what's the point? Its only html and its not like you'll have come up with some amazingly original code that you dont want people to see. If people are interested enough in your code they'll work through the encoding.

Your best bet to protect your text is to put it in flash, an image or if a downloadable pdf...
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So just out of curiosity, why do you want to do it? Stop and think and try and post a real and valid reason because I bet you'll be hard-pressed to some up with one. No offence intended by the way, just trying to open up your eyes a bit

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not possible to hide your source, no matter how many products claim to do it. Sure, you can disable the context menu with the view source button, but all people have to do to get around that is turn off Javascript. You can't disable the view source option in the browser's menu bar. Also, since page source code must be downloaded to your computer anyway (unless there's a no-cache header), you can view it from your cache folder. You can also go to view-source:http://URL. You can encrypt it using a simple escape() and unescape(), but that is extremely easy to reverse-engineer. It's really a pretty useless endeavor. The rule of thumb is this: if you don't want it to be copied, don't post it on the Web.