SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird Left Column Shifting In IE

I built an e-commerce site with CSS and I'm noticing that the left column shifts over the middle content area each time I go to the site. It goes away with a page refresh most of the time but not all of the time. Here is the URL:

http://www.4allbatteries.com/

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I didn't seem to find that problem

FF & IE6
    maybe a screenshot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polvero
    Hi,
    I didn't seem to find that problem

FF & IE6
    maybe a screenshot?
    Is there a trick to attaching a .gif image in this forum? I uploaded one but I can't seem to view it anywhere on the post.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Is there a trick to attaching a .gif image in this forum? I uploaded one but I can't seem to view it anywhere on the post
    It has to be approved by a moderator so may take some time before it appears.

I couldn't see the problem on your page but I have noticed a column shift on other pages that have negative margin floats and also use javascript.

In your layout you don't actually need the negative margin floats (on the page above anyway).

If you are still getting the column shift then just set #'main to have a margin:0 and take out the negative margins from the left and right floats. The layout should still look the same but you may have to tweak a couple of things.

If you need the negative margin for something perhaps on other pages then all i can suggest is you look at any js on the page that may be holding things up.

One solution I found for someone else with a similar problem was adding position:relative (or even position:absolute) to the body element although I wouldn't recommend doing that unless its the only solution and if it works.

If you can try and replicate the fault so that it happens consistently then it will be easier to offer a solution.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help Paul. That worked great. I did have to adjust the #main column a bit but I'm not seeing any sort of column shifting anymore.

Thanks again.