SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question WebCam with Radio... HOW??

Hi there... I need to start a project by putting a Radio on the Internet and at the same time 10 - 20 different WebCams at strategic points in the country.. how can I do this and what should I keep in mind (Technical details).

PS: Never did something with radio or WebCam's before.. only normal Web Designing and ASP programming. Should I handle everything with a Linux Server and SQL Dbase??

Thanks for your time and advice!!

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not done this, but I did do some research on webcams once. Most webcams come with software that will allow you to setup automatic FTP access to your site, and the camera will upload the camera shots to a folder your specify. You can setup how often to update the image (30 secs, 5 secs etc). Obviously the faster you update the image the more bandwidth it will take, and the computer the camera is on has to have an internet connection.

I don't know much about internet radio, but I do know that if you plan on playing music you have to pay for the music just like the radio station does. Even if a radio station wants to have their station on the internet they have to pay AGAIN for the same song they have already paid for.

Other than that I suggest searching SitePoint and Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+%...n&lr=&ie=UTF-8

Hope that helps get you started.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Links of interest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nv
    Thanks man,

I'll just put some links here that I found with helpfull info, maybe someone else out there will read this and see some interest in it.

Well. That it for now.. Regards!!
    Those were great links!!!

Here's another and a direction I think I will be going in my own development. I am interested in this because of the popularity of flash, the ease of production and the fact that many (most) digital video editing software already outputs in flash. Also, the step to CDROM/DVD content is made easier through Macromedia Shockwave. (Travel industry audio/video is my target industry but the radio station niche is also of interest to me.)

For the online radio station though... I think Flash is the way to go because you can easily ad your advertisers and links to the web cams can remain in your graphic interface without links offsite. Also, there are a number of real time chat features in flash that I am looking at so why not dev in a format that I use and expand upon. At least thatís my thinking. Good luck with your project.

http://builder.com.com/5100-6371_14-...tml?tag=search
    David Francis Web Application Developer
    Air Force trained web designer specializing in ASP/SQL
    online applications for business and organizations. Long term
    creation,hosting, marketing & website management partner.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody knows a script for online radio that i can add to my homepage so user click on a link to start a player that allows him to choose between realone, winamp and win media etc...
    ?
    On a PHP/Java/XML/Javascript/MySQL internship right now!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Macromedia should be a start

OK, I started this question.. never got the time to get to the testing. But I did some reading and it does look like one of the best alternatives could be Macromedias Comunication Server package.

You should check it out!

http://www.macromedia.com/software/f...l/inspiration/