SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question IE vs FireFox/NS/Opera Tables

Hi there,

I know this type of query has been posted a million times in various forums but despite that i still cant find an answer to what im looking for!

If you check out http://www.andy-burton.co.uk in FireFox, NS or Opera it looks fine... but if you open it up in IE the table.. well the td tags are all messed up.. ive figured its due to the fact that IE doesnt seem to use the height attributes of td's, but is there actually anything that i can do about that to make it universal?

I tried putting the td in the bottom left (with the 2 w3c logos) to 100%, which worked for FireFox, NS and Opera, but still buggered up in IE, as it made it 100%.... so the images were 100% + the stuff above it down the page.. if that makes sence?

Cheers if anyone knows what i talking about or has an answer!

Andy Burton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you notice that the gap in IE closes if you shrink the browser window?

Try taking "height:100%" out of the "table" declaration in your stylesheet. If you must have 100% height anywhere in your page, try putting it in the respective table instead.

Daniel
    Danielion
    Imagine a world without hypothetical scenarios...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Cheers for your reply. Yeh i tried doing that the first time, ive put it back like that (adding the 100% height the the bottom left td) , but if itake the 100% table height out of the css then the page skrinks down as small as it can be, so its not 100%!.. with the 100% height in the css, you get what ive got now....

http://www.andy-burton.co.uk

Which is the top and the menu area fine on both IE and Firefox, but the height in IE = 100% (for the td) + 420 for the images and menu at the top.. So the 2 images in the bottom left are the whole height of the users screen down the page.

The only solution ive come up with is to remove to the Doctype from the top of the page, and it works perfect in both browers, but then ofcourse its not valid XHTML.

Thanks

Andy Burton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Argh... I have also had to take out the doctype to get pages to display properly in IE while using XHTML transitional. I don't know why this works, but it is annoying!

Daniel
    Danielion
    Imagine a world without hypothetical scenarios...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, yeh tell me about it! Shame is 97% of internet users of something silly use IE, so its almost worth abandoning the whole XHTML thing just so it appeals to 97% of internet users!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use Mozilla and IE alone, they are much stable than others out today.
    I suggest everyone to upgrade to Windows Vista.