SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: IE lag problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE lag problem

Hi, I almost finished the design for one of my clients, have a look at it here. I used Paul`s examples to put the footer at the bottom of the page (thx, Paul), everything seems to work nice in Firefox, Netscape and Opera, but in IE my menu lags a lot, I assume this is somehow connected with my CSS, becouse if I will just use menu on a simple empty page - it works without lag. If somebody can help me with this problem, I would be very glad to know the solution, also if somebody will see any problems in other browsers let me know.

Thanks in advance, Max.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    but in IE my menu lags a lot,
    Hi,

What do you mean lags?

It looks the same to me in firefox and ie and both load and work at the same pace.

Do you mean the rollovers are slow to rollover? They look fine on my computer so have you tried clearing your hisory and cache in case you have corrupted images in the cache.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx for the reply, Paul.

Yes I mean that the rollover is very slow in IE, but is ok in other browsers I tried. Also if you will try to select the text or scroll the page while the fading effect is still happening you will see that page lags a lot and this only happens in IE. Also, if you will add the position: absolute; to the #menu in my CSS file you will see that rollover will be as fast as in other browsers and the lag will disappear, but all the content will be under this menu div. So this is probably not a solution... And yes, I also tried to delete my cache, history, cookies and so on. That didn`t help.

Max.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Also if you will try to select the text or scroll the page while the fading effect is still happening you will see that page lags a lot
    I am not able to move the mouse that quickly! The rollovers finished before I can even place the mouse cursor at the text.

What version of IE are you testing in? I'm using ie6. Does anybody else get the slow rollover in IE? Perhaps someone else reading this post can go and test

As I can't get it to go wrong all I can suggest is that you try to strip the page down and find out from where it goes wrong. e.g. just put the menu and some text on the page and see if it works. Try taking the rollovers out of the table and put them into a list.

If you say the rollovers work on the page by themselves then start with the rollovers and add content until it breaks. This should help you narrow down the cause.

Sorry I can't fix this for you but its working fine in my browser.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B
    What version of IE are you testing in? I'm using ie6. Does anybody else get the slow rollover in IE? Perhaps someone else reading this post can go and test
    Rollovers work fine on IE6 here as well.
    Ryan Butler

Midwest Web Design

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx Paul and Ryan,

I will post here if I found the problem with this rollover thingy. And yes, I am also using the damned IE6.

Max.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I will post here if I found the problem
    Please do - as it will help anyone else with a similar problem. These faults that only happen on certain computers are almost impossible to fix unless you have access to the machine that is causing the problem.(Unless its something obvious of course)

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again,

I asked 50 ppl to enter this site with IE6 and NOBODY had any problems with rollovers, so I assume that my copy of IE6 is somehow broken or something else is wrong with it which I can`t explain... I have also throw some fixes for IE 5.0 and IE 5.5 and rollovers works fine with them. So I probably have to do Format C:

Anyway Paul, I would like to say thanks to you for trying to resolve my problem.

Max.