User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Security with server on my computer-new questions

In the "Database Driven Website using PHP and MySQL" book, it tells how to download Apache, PHP, and MySQL for your own computer. I am using XP Pro. I understand an outsider could access Apache or IIS by using my IP address. Hackers use IP addresses, not URLs. It seems to me I would be inviting these hackers into my computer by having a server on my computer. XP can be used to host an Intranet using IP address (up to ten stations). My ISP, using Apache, tries to block hackers, but many get through. Could I block them by simply using my firewall and block Apache from accessing the Internet???? Is there a better way??? Or, is there some technical issue that would prevent me from doing this???? (I am not a server tech, obviously.) Please, not a "basically, no" answer, but a more technical answer. I like to know "why not?".
    Thank you very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would very much recommend getting a hardware router as a firewall. the XP firewall is not good enough for this.

What I did after I purchased that some book is I setup a linux server on my network. all you need is a cheap computer and install linux on it. Works great for me! Got the linux server in the basement out of the way and it is always accessible on the network!
    Maarten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A good NAT-enabled hardware firewall will make life tough for any would-be hackers. You could also instruct Apache to only listen for requests on a local IP (192.168.x.x).

The spare computer running linux is a good idea as well, that's what I have here and it works well. What kind of firewall do you have, is it software or hardware?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zone Alarm firewall. Thanks!