SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTTP_REFERER not working on Netscape on Mac

I have a simple "Send this page to a friend" form from almost all the pages in this website I'm working on. Each page has this link and when they click on it, they go to friend.php with the following code:
    Code:
     <form action="friend2.php" method="post" name="form1" id="form1" onsubmit="MM_validateForm('Name','','R','Email','','RisEmail','Friends_Email','','RisEmail');return document.MM_returnValue" >
     		    	<p>Send this link, <a href="<?php echo $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];  ?>"><?php echo $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];  ?></a>
    This works on all the browsers I tested it on except for Netscape 7.2 on the Mac and Opera 7.2 on the PC. When you click on the referer link, it goes to another page, not the previous page.

How can I solve/deal with this problem. According to the current stat, only .20% uses Netscape 7.2 on the Mac. There's also other browser/Platform combo I can't test on but maybe they also have the same problem when clicking on that form with HTTP_REFERER

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Users can choose to disable this at will. You are not putting yourself in a good position relying on HTTP_REFERER. Some "firewalls" have started screening this as a "privacy" issue.
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply.

Is there a simple solution (I'm no programmer) where I can create a "Send this page to a friend" link that goes to a form where submitting it sends the form to the "friend", the person who submitted the form and to the owner of the site (to see which pages get the best response)?

I guess I can make that "Send this page to a friend" an email link where clicking on it opens the user's email software with the web page's URL in the subject line. I've done that before. I guess that would be the last resort.