SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem fixed (May be or May not be a SP2issue)

My Linksys card and adapter were working great untill I reformatted the machine and installed xp-pro sp2. So I have seen errors like : a) media disconnected at ipconfig b) limited or no connectivity with card able to see the network though but not able to recieve an ip.

steps to fix it:
    1. go to www.linksys.com/easy and run netcheck and then netset
    2. go to "ur right most tray" and right click on "view available wireless networks" and select yours. click on wireless network props and under wireless tabl check the box that says "use windows to configure my wireless n/w.."

booom.. I was talking (seems it is known as wireless zero config)..

hope it might help some who ran into similar issue.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *bangs head* I realize this is an old thread, though the last post says November 13th, 2005 so it can't be *that* old...anyway, I wanted to say that this thread helped me so much...however, my final solution (for the same problem, of course) ended up being to just run the wizard (on XP professional) again, rename everything and make sure the right connections were enabled.

In order to make sure it was working, I kept my (brand new, Dell) laptop right next to me, on, so the message would pop up with that "wireless networks available" message.

I also ran a patch that I found here with PC Hell. I'm not sure if it helped but my network started working afterwards...took me a couple of restarts.

BTW, I had to run the wizard a couple of times before it made me restart...once it did, and I restarted, my network was working.

I doubt that helps because my computer is very moody but hopefully it will. Good luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    didnt take the time to read, but turn off your sp2 isc firewall.

I just awsered another post like this today though, you might check it out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just formed a dual operating system on my desktop, Windows 98 and XP Pro with SP2. Since loading XP I have been unable to fire up my internet connection, I have the Limited no Connectivity message. I have already applied some fix' which were recommended on this site, but nothing seems to work. Obviously the Windows 98 system works fine.
    I am not a computer whizz, some advice would be helpful.
    Could it be that my internet connection will not function on a computer with a split system?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dual boot systems shouldny have anything to do with it, please try turning off the windows firewall that SP2 enables by default.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help.
    I have removed the Windows firewall but this still does not allow the internet connection to work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Old installation of Zone Alarm was the cause for me...

I had read all the postings and was still getting no joy. Then I remembered that I had once installed Zone Alarm on the machine and wondered if something could have triggered it to come back to life

I re-installed Zone Alarm and found that it imediately not only fixed the problem but also detected 2 spyware programs on my machine that both spybot and adware had missed!

I still might uninstall ZA as I have found in the past that it causes my HP Pavilion ZE5170 laptop to crash when viewing video clips, I'll see if this version is stable.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fixed my Prob thanks!

http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml

That was my solution, bout a new pc, just had to update sp2, get the bug out, but what i didn't do was add the bit into the registry and then restart my computer.... should follow instructions, now online, and feeling great... lucky this didn't go on too long!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SP2 Itself doesn't cause any of the problems mentioned in this entire thread.
    If Installing from CD, the following precautions must be taken in order to achieve a problem free install
    Disconnect ALL Internet Cables & other peripherals (printers, scanners, etc.)
    Perform a Disk Clean- up Defrag & virus & spyware scan
    Install SP2 only after everything is clean
    After Install, turn OFF Automatic Updates & Turn OFF Computer
    Hook Ethernet Cale back up & go to Windows Update & Install Windows Installer Package (3 updates)
    After reboot go back to Windows Update & download & Install all available updates (Express) As of date there are 36
    After reboot, plug everything else back in & set Automatic Updates to your preferred setting.
    SP2 is corrupting your internet connectivity because you are connected while installing

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limited or No Connectivity

I am, apparently, having the same problem as everybody else. I just recently purchased Windows XP Home Edition with SP 2. Before I bought the program my wireless internet connection worked great. The main computer which is actually connected to the wireless modem isn't having any connection problems at all. Years ago, a friend upgraded the computer from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home Edition, I am assuming with SP 1, using his copy. Anyway, the computer ended up crashing so I ended up purchasing my own copy XP with SP 2 and installed it. Ever since I have been getting this message saying "Limited or no Connectivity". My internet service provider has exhausted every solution they know of. We have changed and disabled WEP keys, uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless adapter program and they had me exchange my wireless USB adapter for a new one thinking that could have been the problem, despite the actual manufacturer saying it wasn't defective. So they have finally come to the conclusion that SP 2 is the problem. Since this conclusion, they manually tried to set the IP addresses and I was able to establish a connection, but not able to access the web, I'm now just getting the message that the page cannot be displayed. Also I have downloaded and installed KB884020, but that didn't work either. Obviously, I cannot remove SP 2 because it is included in XP already. As you guys have probably already figured out, I am not computer literate in this aspect! So, is there any other steps I haven't addressed that could possibly fix this problem? Any help would be grately appreciated! Thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this may work for someone

As someone already suggested in this thread the following worked for me.

Either
    1/ disable WEP (not recommended) OR
    2/ change the WEP encryption to 64-bit

This sounds ridiculous (which is why I didnt try it for a couple of days). I tried it anyway to see if it worked. Indeed, it worked. Not sure what's going on.

I have a laptop and a desktop. I have a wireless USB adapter for my desktop (just to see if its a problem with my laptop). When my WEP encryption was 128-bit, I got this "limited or no...." on both machines. It worked before with 128-bit encryption but suddenly it stopped working after I updated and rolled back my wireless drivers. When I lowered the encryption level or removed it I could connect again.

If anyone can let me know whats going on, I'd really appreciate.

Thanks in advance!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wierd

After reconfiguring my router with 128-bit encryption, deleting my old profile and creating a new one with the same WEP key, it works now. Beats me!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -from your desktop check the properties of your internet connection..
    -go to advanced
    -check if the "allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection" is enabled
    ...it might help cause i tried so many things and it didn't work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

some fix for the 'limited or no connectivity' issue on XP

uncheck 'notify me on the local area network properties window(wireless or lan)check ip and default gateway(dos prompt) if youre getting a 169 on the ip and a blank gateway. verify if computer has a socket error. do the ftp command with the loopback address(ftp 127.0.0.1)if youre getting an unknown error number, that means computer is free from socket errors. if youre getting the word "SOCKET" or "UNKNOWN HOST"after doing the ftp command that means you have to reinstall socket folder on the registry file(for SP1)..if computers is running on SP2 do the the "netsh winsock reset" on the dos prompt. also try to disable firewall protection of your computer. disable any internet protection on the dashboard of the particular program(you can also disable it by using the services.msc command on the run task bar(right click on the file choose STOP)). for wireless, uninstall reinstall drivers for the wireless device.change WEP from 128 bit to 64 bit(vice versa) change wireless channel 1,6 or 11. restart wireless zero configuration(services.msc ). you can also try to disable all start up items or system restore on the system configuration window (msconfig on the run task bar)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking yahooooooooo

dingo 567 I Love You!!! You Fixed It At Laaaaast!!!!!! Youre The Beeeeeest!!!!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

garrrrr

my bad... nothing in the world cn fix this stupoid problem
    ive tried everythingggggggg

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran an experiment and it worked. This kept happening to me whenever i tried to take a computer to someone else's house (after i fixed there computer and used the internet at my house) so when they tried to get on the net it wouldn't work. My last case, my boy was having the "limited or no connection" so i brought it to my house and hooked it up to my router and BAM it worked....mmmm then i tried to connect it directly to my modem and BOOM!! the error was back....so i followed what someone else previously wrote and disconnected my modem for at least 15 minutes...(normally we are impatient and only disconnect it briefly) after i turned it back on....BAM INTERNET BABY!!.........Sooo i then decided to hook my modem back up to the router and tried to get back on the internet with my house computer....and what do you know!! it wasn't working...same problem......sooo i disconnected it for at least 10min. or so minutes....and BAM again it worked.....if i take my friend his computer and this process works...than i may be on to something..cuz i remember not turning off his modem for that long(if at all)..sounds simple (yeah) yet effective...i'll keep yaw posted....it seem like a MAC address thing is resetting after you leave the modem off for a while....as someone in this forum has mentioned before

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup it works!!!!!! tried it on several computers and i got the same positive results....who would of thought patience was the answer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running WinsockXPFix.exe may correct this problem.

If your internet connection stops working after removing spyware using adaware or spybot, or because you removed a virus, your TCP/IP stack may have been corrupted. Running WinsockXPFix.exe may correct this problem.

You can download this program from the following site:

http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

Click on the underlined link.

I tried virus removal software, refreshing TCP/IP, etc... It took me 2 weeks, and this is the only thing that worked...

-Dean Grady

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up basically

1.basically go into run in start and type in cmd.
    2.then type into cmd ipconfig/all.
    3.note down ip address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS
    4.go into network connections and right click your default connection (the one you use to connect to the internet) and then click properties.
    5.Then highlight Internet protocol TCP/IP and click properties.
    6.Then fill in the box that says use the following ip address.
    7.Now get the info you noted down earlier and use it to fill in the boxes.
    8.Dont worry if you only have 1 DNS just put that into the preferred DNS.
    9.Now if you have any other computers in your house (Networked) you need to do the same but you need to aquire the info from each computer as each IP address is different on each computer.
    10. congratulations now your computer has a static IP.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Well, I had the Same issue, Ltd or No Connectivity. While tryin to renew IP Got an Error as "Unable to contact DHCP Server, Request Timed out" So I Disabled My Firewall and then renewed IP and Got a Good IP and Was able to Ping External Websites and was able to go online. Hope this works for u too. Happy Troubleshooting.

Thanks & Regards,
    BEN
    "When All Else Fails, Read the Instructions..."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by huntert
    if you have service pack 2 one way to do a winsock fix is to go to the command prompt and type: netsh winsock reset

Dear Hunter, thank you very much for your advice. You are a bless.

I use microsoft windows XP SP2, and I have "limited or no connectivity" problems with repair failure in "renewing your ip address". I tried to uninstall the SP 2, but I couldn't find it in the Add and Remove Program. I have downloaded SP 2 bug patches (KB884020) in

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

and I have installed it in my computer. Unfortunately, the problem persisted. I almost format my computer until I found your writing to type "netsh winsock reset" in the Command prompt.

Because of your short writing above, my computer is saved from format and all.

Thaank youuu Hunter.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help!! Limited Or No Connectivity .......

HELP!! i am complete newbie to all this. i have a belkin router wich is hardwired to my computer an i laptop which can both pick the router an connect problem free. HERES THE PROBLEM!! i have another computer and have recently bought a belkin USB adapter, connected, installed fine, finds the router but when it connects it says limited or no connectivity! bin tryin to fix this for days now but cant some1 please help!!!!!

email me at courtneyhobbs7@hotmail.com
    or add on msn for easier chat (am nt a weirdo lol)
    thanks very much.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    192.168.2.1 and others are private IPs used for internal networks.

168.xxx.xxx.xxx is a Public IP used by ISPs

As of now your router might be set to an access point, or ur physical cabling might have interchanged,

Trying redoing the cabling.
    Shut down all equipment including
    Modem > Router > Computer > Others

Start the modem wait for it to stabilize
    Start the router wait for it to stabilize
    Should Have power and internet light on the router
    Try connecting wired first then go wireless

edamadaka_mahendra@dell.com
    91 - 98869 53 282