SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried a bunch of the same fixes except uninstalling SP2(doing it now) and same thing....

Weird thing is that I have had SP2 installed for at least 2 months (or whenever it came out) and have had no problems until last night. I know its not a hardware problem because I have a Mac right next to the offending PC and it works just fine on its wireless thing...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry A (very annoying) fix for the no connectivity wireless

Hi, i have been having the wireless problem where is says "no connectivity." I have found a temporary fix--you have to go into the properties of the wireless connection, then uncheck TCP/IP, and then click ok. After that, it should say connected. Then you have to open the properties again and recheck TCP/IP. It should then proceed to obtain a DHCP address.

This annoying procedure must be done at every boot, so it's not a very practical solution....good luck all.

dingo567

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Someone help please!

I just replaced my hard drive on my desktop and when i went to hook it all back up the internet would not work. i got the limited or not connectivity icon. I have had SP2 for quite some time so i dont think it has anything to do with that. when i connect my laptop directly to my modem i can use the internet, but when i connect through my router wireless or wired it doesnt work. i am lost someone please help.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

I am not really a person who works on the comp all day and knowns things about it, (play only for games) Could you give me simple instructions?

I have a DSL, yet it seems to be running pretty slow, and i noticed the icon with the Local Area Connection 3 with "Limited or No Connectivity" info. I already tried disabling firewall. I have a Windows XP, no wireless routers or stuff like tht only a simple comp with Dsl, plue no SP2 pack, i think
    Last edited by Who_lik_Dsl; Mar 15, 2005 at 17:37. Reason: Misspelling, More Info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly is your pc connected directly to your dsl modem?
    Are you running spyware and anti-virus software?
    Coinnach

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limited or no connectivity ?! No problem!

I figure out what is going on with the Limited or no connectivity. This is a problem that has a lot to do with your MAC address (network address or physical address).
    Aperantly what is happening in most cases is that your network address is beeing change! And most DSL users have a router (not a home router) on their circuite, that means that people are not able to change on from one PC to another because the system router has a registered MAC address, so thats why you can't use a hub on those kind of systems.

Solutions:
    a) Disconnect your modem for 24 to 48 hours, eventualy the router will loose the MAC address and will be able to accept a new MAC address.
    b) Call your DSL provider and ask what is the MAC address registered on their router. Then change your MAC address on your NIC properties, under the advance tab where it says "Network address", click on "value" and then input your address (only with number and letters).
    c) If b) is not possible (it depens on your NIC) call your DSL provider and have them do a reset on the router (that sometimes takes a day or two).

This solution works on most cases. Only if your DSL modem doesn't work like a router (you normaly will have a 192.x.x.x IP address on modem/routers).

I work for a DSL company, and this problem gets solve a lot on changing the MAC address on what it suposedto be.

So... is there a problem with SP2??? YES it changes your network address!!!

Good luck with this
    Hope it works for something.
    Last edited by moicez; May 1, 2005 at 22:08.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All,

I did a google search because I was having the same problem as the rest of you and came upon this site. I have XP Home with SP2 and the error message came up...you know the one..."limited or no connectivity". I couldn't figure it out than it dawned on me...I had a power outage which caused my NT 4.0 server to shutdown. This is key because I am running DHCP service and it's set for manual setup. Once I started the DHCP service...I did a repair on my XP PC and the problem went away. Otherwise I never had this problem before. Hope this helps.

gwong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone... Like you all, I'm having this problem as well. I am trying to run a multiplayer game of "Rogue Spear: Urban Operations", and before I used SP2, it ALWAYS worked. Now however, I'm having problems. I am almost positive it is because of that stupid message: "limited or no activity". I tried renewing my IP, tried the WinSock Fix program, and I tried a new catV crossover patch cable... All in which didn't work of course. I'm going to try and uninstall that damnable Service Pack 2, but the thing is, is that I can't seem to do it. I tried going through the add/delete programs, and then I tried doing it through the "hidden $ folder" (which my computer is saying doesn't exist). After these futile attempts, I'm at a loss. I know all of you have been trying to help one another, so do you mind if I step in line??? Because as far as I've seen and researched about this all-too-common problem, no definate cure has been discovered yet. Thanks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone... I'm not sure if I missed something, but you all might consider enabling that ICS, or internet connection sharring within the network connections. I found it to fix my issue. Also, do consider using your own defined IP address. I think that might have helped as well, or at least got rid of that retarded "limited or no connectivity" message.

Let me know if that helps!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have service pack 2 one way to do a winsock fix is to go to the command prompt and type: netsh winsock reset

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leigh
    I have a new AJP laptop with "limited or no connectivity" and "can't renew ip address", I've installed the KB fix and registry fix, Winsock fix, and SP2 is present ...

Paul.
    I had the same problem with my new HP laptop. And the link light in my switch was not lit. After a while XP did'n even recognize that my laptop had a network adapter!

My solution:

I turned off the laptop, removed the power cord *AND* battery. Waited a few minutes, and put the battery back. Everything worked again!

The same happened to my desktop machine. Had to turn it off, remove the powercord, and wait about 10-15 minutes.

Hope this helps at least some of you who have the same problem.

Last edited by tapsa; Jul 22, 2005 at 07:54. Reason: typo

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem (of course).

I suspect that there are several things going on here at once, but what worked fro me was changing the WEP key encryption from 128 bits to 64 bits on my router. First I set it to no encryption at all and the laptop had no problem getting an IP address from the router. Then I upped it to 64 bits and it got an IP address with no problem.

Maybe I'll try going back to 128 at some point.

None of the other solutions worked for me. Brand new Gateway laptop with SP-2 pre-installed, and an old Linksys WRT54G that's never given me any problems.

It's possible that you need to do several things to fix this problem and it only looks like the last thing you do fixes it. I did install the MS patch mentioned earlier. It's possible that you need to install this and then change or re-enter the WEP keys before you attempt to connect to the network.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are using a Router with a built in firewall, and have the hardware firewall actived then switch the XP firewall off. That in my experience is the _major_ reason for limited connectivity.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having a problem connecting to the internet with my new computer. Im trying to make a wireless connection with an Airport Express wireless router and a Belkin wireless notebook adapter. I turned off the firewall and installed all the software and the the Wireless adapter and everything seemed to be working, the Belkin Wireless Utility said that I had a excellent connection, but then I realized I couldn't access the internet whatsoever. An error message came up that said I had Limited or No connectivity, I clicked repair and It said It couldn't fix the problem because It couldnt renew the IP adress. Im pretty clueless as to what to do now, so any suggestions would help.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is the DHCP server turned on at the router end?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

limited or no connectivity on wireless lan

hi all

just bought me a brand new sony vaio model t (ultra light laptop). went home and bam limited or no connectivity on my home wireless network which already is workong fine on my first laptop (dell d800)

SO tried all solutions here for few hours THEN i lastly went to intel site and updated my wireless drivers ... WORKS LIKE A CHARM NOW !!

my 2 cents !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20...ing_other_help

not that i looked hard for it, just happen to come across it...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    though my problem is on the same lines, it goes like this :

1) When router is not connected to internet, my laptop can get the IP-address from the router.
    2) Whn router is connected to internet, and when i try connecting my laptop to router, then it just keeps on saying "acquiring newtork address" and finally says "limited or no internet connectivity"
    3) I do not see XP2 as the source of the prob, bcoz itzz happening from 3 laptops out of which only one has XP SP2..

any help wud be appreciated on this...

- Deepak

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Ol Microsoft

Alright...
    I have been having this problem for over 2 months now with my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop using a directly connected CAT5e Crossover cable. I noticed something really weird with my new DSL service though. When I use the router that was supplied with the DSL router/network/wireless network hub (Westell 327W) there are no problems with SP2 installed. So, I used 2 other network hubs that I have available in my arsenal... a 'SpeedStream model SS2105 10/100Mbps fast ethernet switch' and some old 10 Base-T hub to see what the results were. Still, the same stupid message and still unable to get online through the network. Finally, I reinstalled WinXP Home Edition without the SP2 bs and guess what... the problem went away! Service pack 2 kind of reminds me of the South Park Movie where Bill got shot! Lessons learned... DO NOT UPGRADE TO SP2!!!

-Dill

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdillenschneider
    DO NOT UPGRADE TO SP2!!!

-Dill
    <_sarcasm>
    yeah, hell just rollback to Win98 instead.
    <_/sarcasm>

not installing SP2 is a bit like welding the chassis to the cab on a truck. Yeah it looks fine and seems to work ok, but underneath it's a pretty crap job.

I've had _no_ problems with installing SP2 on fresh installs. Neither have i had problems with correctly maintained systems. Before applying SP2 to an old install do a registry sweep, clear out all your cache and temp files and defrag the disk. THEN apply SP2. Any installs that are hosed after that point are because SP2 applies slowly and often appears to have crashed while it's installing. people reset the system and it behaves like a Redheaded Stepchild as a result.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help!!

i got a new dell 700m it is awsome and works very well. there is only one problem i have run into. the wirless will not work at my house it works at school, but when i am at home it says there is an excellent connection, but no packets are being recieved, and i can't surf the internet, any help would be greatly apreciated.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hint about the Limited Or No connectivity thing on WIFI

I have a laptop and a desktop with wifi b. the laptop has a phone modem and the desktop has 2 LAN ports. Both are win XP SP2

I have been moving about a bit recently and have been swapping between dial up and dsl, using either PC as an access point to give the other one web and file access

Each time I reverse the config (swap form laptop or desktop as the AP) i get the Limited Or No Connectivity' drama. The workgroup still works, but not the web (I have changed and shared the new web access connection etc.)
    Repairing the WIFI connection / renewing the IP doesn't work. However, if I run the 'set up a home or small office network' wizard on the PC with the connectivity problem using the existing workgroup name, the connectivity is restored without me having to reconfigure the wifi connection or even reset the wep key.

Who knows, maybe its worth a try before heading down the uninstall road.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have tried all teh solutions mentioned in the thread other than uninstalling SP2. Not much hair left now.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible Solution

After trying EVERYTHING related to this problem (uninstalling SP2, restoring, installing SP2 patch, running winsock, defining a static IP address)

I have just discovered the stupidest simplest solution to the problem I had connecting my flatmate's laptop to our Flat network wirelessly(or otherwise).

This will seem extremely obvious to tech heads out there but for Networking amateurs like myself, hopefully this will save you the next 4 hours of your internetless life.

There are 3 computers on the network, all Dells - 2 laptops, one desktop. The desktop and one laptop are connected using ethernet cables while the other laptop connects wirelessy to a Linksys Wireless Router (Wireless G). This is then connected to a Motorola (Surfboard) Broadband Modem.

Now....

The Desktop and Laptop connected using ethernet cables were connecting to the network and internet no bother...

When the other laptop tried to connect wirelessly, there was a "limited or no connectivity" sign.

HERE IS THE STUPID *** SOLUTION TO THIS STUPID *** PROBLEM ::::

Go to the router settings on one of the connected computers by putting your IP address in the address bar of Internet Explorer.

Make sure router assigns IP address to computers trying to connect (Auto DHCP).

Now....make sure maximum number of DHCP users is the number of computers on your network (for example, put it on 3 if there are two bloody laptops and a desktop, not 2!!!!!!!!).

This probably won't help anyone, because I am hopeful I am the only person stupid enough to not check this...but I felt obliged to register on this site and post this, as a thank you to all who have tried to help people with this problem.

Good luck all !!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yet another solution...

Was having problems getting onto the Internet and got the "Local Area Connection - Limited or no connectivity" message for the first time 5 days ago. My ISP walked me through a bizillion diagnostics and reconfigurations, only to determine it wasn't my DSL modem, but my Linksys router.

Blew $80 on a new router (same model) only to find my little home network wouldn't work (the limited/no connectivity message). After 2 online help chat sessions and a phone call to Linksys, I still couldn't get the network to work. Another annoying problem was that, without the router working correctly, only one PC could get on the Internet at a time (via direct connection to the DSL modem).

Finally did a Google search on "Local Area Connection", "Limited or no connectivity" and found this site. (I'm amazed at how many people have had this same problem.) Tried a few of the suggested solutions from this thread, but unfortunately, I still had the limited/no connectivity problem.

Found another web site that said to simply go into XP and disable XP's firewall (because it was stopping data from being passed on to the other PCs in the network). Tried that and immediately had connectivity again...well, that and an extra Linksys router.

Only took 5 days to find a solution.

Glad to have found this site, btw.