Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SP2 Limited or no connectivity?

I just installed microsofts new service pack 2 and now i have a new icon in the task bar with a explination mark in it ( looks like a network icon ).

It says "Limited or no connectivity" .

I have no idea what this is but it opens a menu which the option to repair but when i tryed fixing it says "Repair local area connection... " then eventually it says
    Windows could not repair the problem because the following action could not be completed:

Renewing your ip address
    Anyone what this is or how i fix it?

My broadband seems to work fine.. i have no problems surfing but obviously something is wrong.

I am using aol broadband ( DSL ) on one home computer using windows xp professional as the OS.
    Add your web design / hosting companies to my directory - Web Hosting Directory
    Want to join our panel of experts? - Hosting Forums ( top right of forums -expert drop down box for more info ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's drivers were damaged during the installation somehow. Did you try checking in the device manager to see if there are any problem or questioned devices? If there are figure out which device/devices they are then try uninstalling/reinstalling them, getting the newest drivers, or reinstalling the drivers.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No yellow question marks in device manager. I found the problem being addressed on the aol help center although it does state that this problem is not exclusive to aol users.

Here it was it said

Some AOL Broadband users may see a new icon in the system tray in the bottom right of their screen. This will be a small yellow triangle, which is a warning that there is a connectivity problem. In fact, this icon is appearing in error and there is no connectivity problem. This is not specific to AOL members, and we hope to find a resolution shortly.

To remove the icon from the system tray:
    -- Click Start, Control Panel, then Network Connections.
    -- Right-click on Local Area Connection # GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem.
    -- Click on Properties.
    -- Remove the tick from 'Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity'. Click OK.
    Want to join our panel of experts? - Hosting Forums ( top right of forums -expert drop down box for more info ).

SitePoint Enthusiast Br00klynzzFinEST's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically the reason that error came up was because SP2 assumes you will have a static IP address for networking purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem Fixed

just had the same problem a couple of days ago, and I just fixed it yesterday! I've got a thread started that you can look over and it explains the fix @ the bottom. basically your TCP/IP protocol is corrupted, and you need to replace it. go to my post http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192579

check it out, and i hope it helps!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was having the same type of general connectivity problems after installing XP SP2.

I had between 40% and 75% packet loss when pinging my gateway router. I tried everything. I tried winsock fixes, SP2 fixes for socket limitations, reinstalling the TCP/IP stack with Net Shell (netsh int ip reset [ log_file_name]) per Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 299357, etc. l Uninstalled SP2 and the problem went away, but when I reinstalled XP Pro without SP2 the problem came back. Noting short of uninstalling SP2 seemed to work.

The problem also seemed to have something to do with ARP. When I cleared the ARP cache by running the the network repair tool, or just running arp -d * from a dos box, the problem would go away for a couple of minutes. Usually less than a couple of minutes. But it would always come back after some network activity. I did an extensive harware check because I know that ARP problems are usually a sign of a bad switch. I replaced cables, switches, and routers, but the problem persisted. Plus, the problem only occured on my SP2 machine and no other XP machine on the network. The fact that XP Pro without SP2 worked on the same machine also militated against a harware problem.

Then I installed the new and only SP2 patch from Microsoft. It is supposed to fix VPN and loopback problems, but it fixed my bad TCP/IP problem also.

The patch is called and "Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB884020)" The download site is: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

I hope the above helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solution to "Limited or no connectivity" in SP2

I had the same problem re. the "Limited or no connectivity" after installing Windows XP - Service PAck 2. I tried all the suggestions posted in various forums, as well as in Microsoft's Knoledge Base. Nothing worked. Nothing is wrong with my network. My NIC card works just fine. But, there is a basic problem with SP2 itself, ... and the Windows update doesn't do anything to fix it.

After wasting almost a week on this problem, and having to live without my printers and without my network, ... I finally decided to quit wasting my time. Instead, I tried the only solution that worked before, ... and sure enough, it worked again.

Here's what to do:

1. UNINSTALL Windows XP -SP2.
    =============================
    Go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove programs. Highlight the line that says "Windows XP Service Pack 2", and click on the REMOVE button. The removal will take about 10 minutes, after which you will have to reboot the computer. Presto! Everything works again! My printers are back! My network is back!

I can finally be productive again, instead of struggling with Windows problems caused by Windows itself!

All of the other suggested "solutions" won't help because there is some evil code embedded in SP2. Get rid of SP2, and everything will work again! I guarantee it.

I did this twice. Every time I install SP2, I lose my printers and my network. Every time I uninstall SP2, I get everything back. SP2 is the culprit. Get rid of it. It's time for Microsoft to admit it has a serious flaw in SP2.

2. DISABLE AUTOMATIC WINDOWS UPDATES
    ========================================
    If you have enabled automatic updates, SP2 will try to re-install itself. The only way to prevent this is to disable automatic Windows updates. Instead, do the updates manually, say once a week or so, and be selective. Don't download anything that has remotely to do with SP2.

To turn off automatic updates, go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Automatic updates. Then simply place a dot in front of the option to turn off automatic updates. Done! Now you can sleep in peace!

Don't worry about the warning that says your computer might be less secure if you turn off automatic updates. You'll be perfectly safe if you do manual updates from time to time. Just stay away from SP2. It will do more damage to your system than any hacker has ever caused.

Better yet, maybe it's time to start thinking about Linux instead of Windows. That Linux penguin seems more attractive every day!

I am also planning to stop using Microsoft Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. Instead, I'll switch to Firefox and Thunderbird.

Now, if only there was a way to get this message through to Microsoft's decision makers!

Sincerely,

Emilio Trampuz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [sarcasm]I love these new wireless 'features' in SP2 ! [/sarcasm]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .....Had SP2 instaleld and got rid of it 30 minutz later. Dont like it.....
    random port blocking...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aol has a patch for this ( ask aol technical support if your using aol as your isp ). Microsoft also released a patch - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

That should fix it with sp2 installed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got this a few times after I put SP2 on my laptop, however got it sorted out and everything has been working solidly for ages.

This usually happens when you either:

1) Have a Lan cable plugged in and the link light is on.
    or
    2) Have a wireless network connection (that is loged into an AP or another PC).

And

1) The adapter is configured to get an address via DHCP but did not recieve a responce from the DHCP server.
    2) The adapter has recieved a DHCP configuration but the gateway address is wrong.
    3) The adapter has a static IP configuration but the gateway address is wrong.

This used to happen pre SP2, and to windows 2K too, it just never told you there was a problem you had to figure that out on your own.

I have also found that this situation is caused by the new silver netgear DSL routers which seem to need a reboot every now and again.
    Drinky

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a sony VGC-30 with windows xp home with service pack 2, I plugged it in and tried to connect to my network getting the same limited or no connectivity error
    I went into my dlink router configuration and put in the mac address to be able to connect also and into Norton security to allow it. I did notice that when I go into network connections all my other computers connect with internet gateway not lan or high speed internet. The sony sets up with just the local area connection even though i picked the gateway connection in the connection wizard, I also noticed the Ip address is different it starts with 168 not 192 like my other computers and I dont know how to change that either. I did try to do it manually in the network connections and tcp/ip properties.
    I am really stumped this same thing is happening on another computer I have so it is something that I am doing wrong.

Oh I forgot I went into add and remove programs and it doesnt have windows service pack 2 in the list to try to uninstall.

also when I do the ipconfig/release and renew it says it cannot renew the address.

HELP PLEASE

Thank you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant say that using Winblows SP2 is such a great idea. From experience of installing it on nearly 40 DIFFERENT types of PC, I cant honestly say that more than 25% of those have had a dramatic improvement when it comes to performance. As someone said earlier, the random port-blocking is a pain-in-the-*** aswell.
    Heres a report I wrote on it a while ago. Its geared towards a novice SP2 user, but has some opinions attached to it :
    http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/showthread.php?t=4631

Regards,
    ~Equinox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flgirl
    Oh I forgot I went into add and remove programs and it doesnt have windows service pack 2 in the list to try to uninstall.
    You either don't have SP2 installed, or your machine has an OEM pre-installation version of windows XP that is compiled with the SP2 updates in place. In either case you cannot un-install it.

You get an auto configuration IP address (168.254.xxx.xxx) when your computer is set configure it's address via DHCP, but no responce is recieved from the DHCP server (or there is no DHCP server).
    Drinky

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new AJP laptop with "limited or no connectivity" and "can't renew ip address", I've installed the KB fix and registry fix, Winsock fix, and SP2 is present I believe (got Movie Maker) but doesn't appear in add / remove so I assume is integral to the XP install. Is reloading XP without SP2 the only way round this? And how are Microsoft getting away with it?!!!!

Paul.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leigh
    I have a new AJP laptop with "limited or no connectivity" and "can't renew ip address", I've installed the KB fix and registry fix, Winsock fix, and SP2 is present ...

Paul.
    I had the same problem with my new HP laptop. And the link light in my switch was not lit. After a while XP did'n even recognize that my laptop had a network adapter!

My solution:

I turned off the laptop, removed the power cord *AND* battery. Waited a few minutes, and put the battery back. Everything worked again!

The same happened to my desktop machine. Had to turn it off, remove the powercord, and wait about 10-15 minutes.

Hope this helps at least some of you who have the same problem.

Last edited by tapsa; Jul 22, 2005 at 06:54. Reason: typo

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem (of course).

I suspect that there are several things going on here at once, but what worked fro me was changing the WEP key encryption from 128 bits to 64 bits on my router. First I set it to no encryption at all and the laptop had no problem getting an IP address from the router. Then I upped it to 64 bits and it got an IP address with no problem.

Maybe I'll try going back to 128 at some point.

None of the other solutions worked for me. Brand new Gateway laptop with SP-2 pre-installed, and an old Linksys WRT54G that's never given me any problems.

It's possible that you need to do several things to fix this problem and it only looks like the last thing you do fixes it. I did install the MS patch mentioned earlier. It's possible that you need to install this and then change or re-enter the WEP keys before you attempt to connect to the network.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also when I do the ipconfig/release and renew it says it cannot renew the address.
    There is no responce from the DHCP server, or

The lan cable is faulty/WiFi Base station is faulty/misconfigured, or

The network card drivers are not working correctly, or

The network/Wifi Card is faulty.
    Drinky

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    192.168.2.1 and others are private IPs used for internal networks.

168.xxx.xxx.xxx is a Public IP used by ISPs

As of now your router might be set to an access point, or ur physical cabling might have interchanged,

Trying redoing the cabling.
    Shut down all equipment including
    Modem > Router > Computer > Others

Start the modem wait for it to stabilize
    Start the router wait for it to stabilize
    Should Have power and internet light on the router
    Try connecting wired first then go wireless

edamadaka_mahendra@dell.com
    91 - 98869 53 282

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drinky
    I really feel it is the router because this is 2 computers that are giving me the same 168 254 xxx xxx ip address and I do get the cannot connect to the dhcp server message. I have been so busy with my business that I havent had a chance to take down the whole network and reset the router and start over. I will try to do that tonight. I know the cables are working and the wireless is working because the 3 existing computers are still working fine on the network, I just cant get the 2 new ones on it. Oh the sony does come with the pre installed xp with sp2.
    If taking down the network and starting over is the long way around please advise.
    Thank you for your help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drinky
    I really feel it is the router because this is 2 computers that are giving me the same 168 254 xxx xxx ip address and I do get the cannot connect to the dhcp server message.
    Give yourself a static IP address in the range that the router should be handing out make sure you set the gateway and DNS addresses to be the router and see if it works that way.
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To find out what SP you have on your system, right click My Computer and select properties. It will tell you on this dialogue.
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also check that the "DHCP Client" service is running, this needs to be running to enable the NIC's to be configured via DHCP.
    Drinky

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorted!

Thanks. I had a mate suggest 'Run' sfc /scannow, which apparently replaces corrupted Windows files and it worked .

Best, Paul.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this might help

I was having similar issues with my DELL Truemobile 1450 card, on my D600 latitude and my WLAN at home. I use my machine in work (wired lan) and at home (wireless lan). Last night I found that I couldn't access the wireless lan from my Netopia 3347w wireless dsl router in the house.. was getting the same 'limited connectivity' warning from XP and my IP was being set as 169.254.xxx.xxx

Had a read of your thread and tried the following:

1. Power-Cycled the DSL router.. didn't think this was an issue as other toshiba notebook running 2000 SP4 and a 3Com Wireless card could connect without any problems.

2. I then installed the M$ update for XPSP2 - KB884020 - and the associated regfix that's been mentioned on another thread then rebooted.. that didn't work.

I didn't do any of the netsh commands nor did I run the winxpfix exe, as I've no problems with TCP/IP protocols when I hook an ethernet cable into the router, I was getting my dhcp address everytime on the wired connection.

3. I then tried a windows update, in case anything new was there.. few extra patches required for my machine.. then rebooted, but still no joy with the Wi-Fi

4. I then double-checked that windows firewall was disabled, and ZoneAlarm hadn't changed settings anywhere.. nothing was different there between the time when I could connect and yesterday when I couldn't. I unchecked the setting to warn for limited connectivity also at this stage, just for the sake of it.

5. Next tried dell for 1450 network card updates, to make sure that the driver was bang up-to-date.. (shouldn't make a difference as there was no updates to the DSL router nor the OS on my laptop in between the times that the Wi-Fi worked and when it stopped working) Gave the machine another reboot.Still no joy!! It wasn't looking good.

I then retried the DELL WLAN utility, which I've set to manage the Wi-Fi connections - seeing as I'd recently updated the drivers. On checking the WEP keys, the fields were blank! I readded the WEP keys and applied the settings... it worked

Somewhere along the way the WEP keys somehow were cleared.. very odd! But it did do the job.. hope that the above info will help someone out there.