Thread: Fixed position

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixed position

Hi,
    I'm trying to make a page which is 600px wide and all centered using divs, which is fine. The problem is arising when I try to make the header div fixed so that the body scrolls underneath it. Below I have a simplified version of the strucutre I have to help make things a little clearer.

PHP Code:
    <html>
    <
    head>
    <
    style type="text/css">

body {

margin:0;

padding:0;

text-align:center;
        }

#container {

border:1px solid red;

margin:auto;

text-align:left;

padding:5px;

width:600px;

background-color:blue;
        }

#header { position:fixed; top:0; width:100%; height:100px; border:1px solid red; background-color:green;}
        #body { position:absolute; top:100px; width:100%; border: 1px solid red; background-color:purple;}
    /*  #header { position:fixed; top:0; left:0; right:0; height:100px; background-color:green; }
        #body { position:absolute; top: 100px; width:100%; background-color:blue; }*/
    </style>
    </
    head>
    <
    body>
    <
    div id="container">
        <
    div id="header">

Here is the header

</div>
        <
    div id="body">

Here is the body<br />Here is the body<br />Here is the body<br />Here is the body<br />Here is the body<br />

Here is the body<br />Here is the body<br />Here is the body<br />Here is the body<br />Here is the body<br />

</
    div>
    </
    div>
    </
    body>
    </
    html
    If you remove the position:fixed; and position:absolute from the #header and #body declarations then you'll have the shape of the page which I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Bubble

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Add position: relative; to your rules for #container, which will give #header and #body the proper stacking context. Also, if you didn't already know, fixed positioning doesn't work in IE for Windows, so you may have to use a JavaScript workaround to get it working in that browser.