SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inkotomi and Network Solution have a partnership that allows you to pay $30 for the first URL and $15 for each additional one after that.

For it they claim that you will be indexed within 48 hours, and that they update their listings weekly, so that if your content changes you will be able to see it reflected faster.

From what I gather it also will allow you to change your keywords, and text to better reflect search engine positions.

Now in theory this sounds great, but has anyone ever useed this service, and if you have have you found it to be of value?

I know we are all looking for new ways to work our traffic to our sites, and the days of simple search engine listing seem to be pretty well gone.

Just looking for honest opions. I'm presently using GoTo, but I would like to get a little more for my money, and would like to phase out GoTo by Sept. of this year, when they plan to make the minimum click rate $.05

I'm presently grandfathered until then, but if you sign up any additional keywords you will get stuck with the higher rate.

Not trying to go broke on promoting, so I'd sure like to hear some additional imput on the Inkotomi URL submit from those that have experience with it.

Thanks in advance.

JT

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I should spell it right. It's Inktomi

Take care;

JT

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Inktomi guarantee your site will be added? Usually one of the catches is that sites are not guaranteed that they will be listed.
    Total Life Success - Don't give in. Succeed. (tm)

Total Life Success Forums - the Web's Leading
    Success Community™

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I have read on their site. Yes, as long as your site meets the quidelines, which after reading them were pretty standard.

Take care;

JT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...it is my understanding that they guarantee that you will be crawled but that's it. You might be the search result #1,999,999,999 for keyword XXXX...but you are crawled.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do i submit my site to them?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inktomi allow you to purchase URLs from partner sites.
    One such site is Positiontech, at
    http://www.positiontech.com

Steve
    PS I've used this service for a 3 URLs and my pages are featuring high on search engines, after only a few days.

PPS They also allow you to change the URL, twice, for no
    extra charge!
    Build promote and profit from your website!
    Visit http://shoptour.co.uk/webmaster.shtml

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This service was launched before Christmas. It doesn't really guarantee anything as they can delete your pages if they choose at any time, for instance if they are spam redirects, etc.

In practice I've found it to be hugely successful. Submit a url on Monday and be listed by Thursday. They don't give any ranking benefit to pages but the free ADDURL gives pages a penalty so paid submit avoids the penalty. Your pages still need to be optimised to benefit but it's a great way to get quick results and you can then fiddle with pages and see the result after a couple of days so that you can fiddle some more to try to get higher.

My experience with PositionTech is good, their support is excellent and the systems work fine.

My position may be different to others though as I do SEO for a living so quick refreshes means more money to feed the family.
    Simon Conroy,
    PPC Bid Management and ROI Tracking Solutions
    www.BidBuddy.co.uk www.ROIstats.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by simon c
    the free ADDURL gives pages a penalty so paid submit avoids the penalty.
    NOTE: The free ADDURL penalty only applies until the page is crawled...after the INK spider physically visits the page the penalty is usually removed.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using their free submit at Canada.com forever, been working great. Before *and* after they introduced the pay-per-submission program.

Adam
    Find A Web Host: Click Here
    Hosting News & Information:Click Here
    Web Host Reseller Info:Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheWHIR
    I've been using their free submit at Canada.com forever, been working great. Before *and* after they introduced the pay-per-submission program.
    ...quite right Adam. I've been using DumpTruck in conjunction with Canada.com and Anzwers <flip-flopping back and forth on a rotating schedule> submitting 25 urls per day and I've gotten virtually every page on my site(s) indexed. The only advantage I see to using the paid program is to do intensive SEO research on the Inktomi algorithm. When Ink originally proposed the idea of a paid submission program I was hoping they would implement a pay-per-deep-crawl on like a weekly or monthly basis. This would have saved me a little aggravation adding new pages to my Ink submission schedule.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that might help a lot. I'd also consider the pay submission program if Inktomi is really going to flag non-paying sites and rank them lower.. but that's kind of depressing if that's true. Does this mean the ultimate death of search engines? I mean, what's really left? Google, it would seem, would be the only major search engine left with no paid submission program whatsoever.

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really really really hate having to say this but...

perhaps the only real solution will eventually be an impartial government funded search engine. The Internet is becoming <and some would say it already IS> a HUGE part of the American economy and can we really afford to have the #1 method of Internet navigation controlled by a few money starved corporations? A lot of choice sites stand to be lost forever in the sheer quantity of information available because they can't AFFORD to pay for search engine listings.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true. It's something, in fact, that I'm arguing in an article that I'm writing. It basically suggests that we're coming in to a world of a two-tier Internet, largely in part thanks to these new paid directories in search engines. Basically, you have the "haves" on one side, and the "have nots" on the other. The "haves" are the ones that can consistently afford to get noticed on search engines/directories because they have money for sponsorships, paid links, etc... then you have the "have-nots", those sites that may be just as good, but no budget. So they can't pay these inclusion fees. So they never get found.

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY
    ...now let me explain

I've approached hundreds if not thousands of webmasters with content related to sites that I admin to discuss exchanging links. Only about 1% EVER RESPOND! As the underdogs to big hitters like Amazon, Ebay, and etc the only defense we have is if we band together exchange links and share our traffic stream amongst us smaller sites. How many times have you clicked on a link from a site you are on figuring that it was probably a safe bet that it was similar in content to the site you are on...and easier than going back to a search engine and wading through another 10 pages of worthless results. But instead of cooperating and sharing our visitors with sites that in return send traffic back to our site...some webmasters would rather have them go back to Yahoo or Google and start over. The truth is eventually your traffic IS GOING TO LEAVE the question is...are you going to benefit from it by either refering them to an affiliate that you make money from or referring them to a site that you share traffic with.

If it's going to be a two-tier Internet than lets at least make the most of the tier we occupy!!!

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but if your competitors site is better than they will never come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by necrominator
    Yes, but if your competitors site is better than they will never come back.
    ...if someone is in this situation then they have problems already and they had better be very very good indeed at SEO in order to lure customers to them first.
    Personally I'm pretty much in markets where it is almost impossible for any single site to have absolutely everthing that every single visitor is likely to be looking for. In this case I would rather send my visitor to a partner that can help them rather then send them away empty handed. Customers will sometimes remember that you went the extra mile to help them out.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...if someone is in this situation then they have problems Customers will sometimes remember that you went the extra mile to help them out.
    This is an excellent point. I've found out from 6 years of running my current site that making a sale does always mean on the first try, but if you assist someone to find what they are looking for it does have an impact on them and is a tremendous way of building a solid client base.

I would like to mention that I have eventually sold to a person that originally contacted me about something that I did not offer. I believe they found a trusting sole in cyberspace and that was the difference.

The one thing I will mention that I have found works well, is that I tell all folks that enquire about something that I do not offer to sign up on my mailing list, as I regularly make announcements to it, and they may find some future information quite valuable.

Take care;

JT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inktomi...crawling from paid page?

...so has anyone determined if Inktomi is crawling from the paid page or are they only hitting that ONE page over and over and over and over..........
    I've got something like 600+ pages out of the 2000 or so pages I've done in the Ink database already but I was considering registering ONE url to do some SEO tweaking and I was wondering if anyone that has gone the paid submit route had notice an increase in overall page count in the Ink database without constant submitting...

I hope what I'm trying to say is making sense!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About Inktomi -
    At this point, I think it's the best $30 you can spend. In 2 days you're up on MSN and a bunch of others - we spent the 200 for looksmart and the 200 for yahoo and haven't gotten nearly as much as we got from inktomi...
    I know I sound like an ads but it's nice to have one marketting plan thats a sure thing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gregory28 -- Thank you. Good, straight-forward advice, which is the reason we joined this board. We've been procrastinating on submitting to Inktomi. Your post helps make the decision easy. Good luck to all of us!

Best,
    Linda
    P.S. You've got a terrific site!
    Phone Call Mall
    Low cost long distance for all.
    http://www.phonecallmall.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Linda. Thanks for the compliment! That's one of the first site I've designed and def. the first I've promoted - the promotion part is so much harder, and I thought it would be a breeze. Here's some more good inktomi stuff (once again, I sound like an ad, but I don't mean to)

Inktomi promoses to respider your page every two days. Most search engines take months. This means that if you aren't doing well in a search, you can change your page around and in two days, you've be able to see if your changes made any difference.

Plus after you spend the initial 30 bucks, each site afterwards is only 12 - which is an easy spend, so that you can make some doorway pages that will work better for different keywords.

The inktomi submit is one of the things that I felt really worked - a list of some of the other things which didn't work or only worked a little is on the board somewhere entitled "what has worked and what hasn't."

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay...I decided to register one URL with Inktomi via Network Solutions even though it chafs me so!!!

I really really need to do some SEO tweaking to my pages and it takes so darn long waiting for Google and the other engines to update to see how the pages are doing. I figured...get one page spidered every 48 hours and use it as a template for more pages once <read: hopefully> I get it ranking well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#1 Ranking on Ink Partner sites!

...WOW! I can't afford to pay to have every page on my site indexed by Inktomi; however, I was really pleasantly suprised that the test page <doorway> that I paid to have spidered shot immediately to the #1 position!!!
    Of course the test page wasn't for a really tough to get term like Brtiney Spears but it also wasn't a truly obscure term either. If anyone is curious about the term/keyword I optimized for check out the "Canada.com" results...

http://www.canada.com/search/web/sea...y=8&fam=0&pid=

I'm also trying a new tactic...I'm not calling my doorway pages doorways at all...rather I'm calling them "shortcuts"...as in I'm supplying the searcher with a series of links or "shortcuts" relevant to the search term that they are looking for. Starting of course with links to my content...then content supplied by my affiliate partners! Sort of like very targeted optimized link pages except stressing links to interior content.