Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Hi!

I tried most of your suggestions, NO LUCK.

But I have a solution for the issue.

1) Remove Service Pack 2
    2) Restart
    3) Download IT SP2 and install

Problem solved for me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I just got a new laptop about over a week ago it already had the SP2 on it. I tried the Winsockxp fix program and no difference.
    My Problem:
    Laptop wont connect to internet wirelesly. HOWEVER if i connect
    into the wireless router DIRECTLY it works fine(this is how i am
    posting). I have the aparently "infamous" limited or no
    connectivity despite an "excellent" signal.

My Setup:
    2 Laptops (mine is one) "connected" to the wireless connection
    (the other works fine). We have a Microsoft wireless router
    (MN-700). as i said the Winsock did nothing and i already had the
    SP2.

thanx for whatever help i may get.
    sincerely,
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob,

If you do a search of the helpdesk forum for "limited or no connectivity" you will find a number of different threads about this. I would start there and attempt more of the different resolutions put forward.

Good luck
    Coinnach

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MystaMax
    hey hartmann I GOT IT!!!! so happy. Had to do a lot of research and found out that theres a couple of people out there that have the same problem as me. It was my TCP/IP protocol, it was corrupted. I downloaded a program called WinSockXP fix and it when into my registry and put the keys that needed to be replaced in the right spot, rebooted, AND BAM!! im online again! thanx for all ya help. you being a mentor and all should remember this post b/c i can see this problem coming up for a lot of other people. People w/ dial up and even wired LAN connections were having the same problem!!!
    I was just about to go out of my mind trying to troubleshoot the same problem with a wireless connection when I found your post. I tried WinSockXP and the machine came up and connected in a split second.

This was a critical one for me because the computer is in a home office in an outbuilding with no wireline connection to my household LAN, so I had to get the wireless going.

Thanks for taking the trouble to find the solution and sharing the knowledge.

streetleveltech

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i read alot of threads where people say that they cannot connect most people do not say whether they have a pppoe connection or a dhcp connection. A pppoe connection in the past has been a standard but now more people are getting dhcp. A pppoe connection is a broadband connection requiring a user name and password. A dhcp connection is automatic connection pretty much plug and play. I troubleshoot network connections and the first thing i find out is what type of connection does the person have. Usually the modem will say adsl or dhcp. Most of them that say adsl are pppoe. people get mad if i ask them to disconnect their router but if you cannot connect you need to find out if their problem is the modem ,the router, or the network. If a person has a pppoe connection and is using windows xp a create a pppoe connection on their desktop and if they are able to surf with that connection then the problem is with the router. If the person has multiple pcs and they can surf on the other machines the problem is with the pc that cannot surf. Many people have winsock issues. I would ask your isp what id address do people normally pull on their network. I do not know about every network but 192.xxx.xxx.xxx is pretty common. One thread said that they had 169.xxx.xxx.xxx a 169 ip address usually shows a network problem it is known as the microsoft autoconfiguration ip address

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

system restore

Similar problem, different circumstances. A download on a home laptop over a wireless home network corrupted the TVP/IP settings. I was getting the same message. I then wired directly into the router, same message.

I tried the system restore (using XP) with success.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar problem. Heres the situation. 1 Desktop, 2 Laptops. 1 of the laptops is brand new. The desktop connects to the Dlink wireless router through a wire without problems. The old laptop connects to the Dlink wireless router through wireless without problems. The new laptop can connect to the wireless router and obtain an ip address, but can't get on the internet. It can ping the other computers on the network. Connecting the new laptop with a wire gives the same result. Taking the new laptop somewhere else and connecting to a different wireless network works with no problems. Connecting the new laptop directly into the ADSL modem works with no problems as well. So, the question is, how come the new laptop can get an ip address from the wireless router, but can't get on the internet? But the internet settings work fine as it is able to connect through a different network.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntert
    i read alot of threads where people say that they cannot connect most people do not say whether they have a pppoe connection or a dhcp connection. A pppoe connection in the past has been a standard but now more people are getting dhcp. A pppoe connection is a broadband connection requiring a user name and password. A dhcp connection is automatic connection pretty much plug and play. I troubleshoot network connections and the first thing i find out is what type of connection does the person have. Usually the modem will say adsl or dhcp. Most of them that say adsl are pppoe. people get mad if i ask them to disconnect their router but if you cannot connect you need to find out if their problem is the modem ,the router, or the network. If a person has a pppoe connection and is using windows xp a create a pppoe connection on their desktop and if they are able to surf with that connection then the problem is with the router. If the person has multiple pcs and they can surf on the other machines the problem is with the pc that cannot surf. Many people have winsock issues. I would ask your isp what id address do people normally pull on their network. I do not know about every network but 192.xxx.xxx.xxx is pretty common. One thread said that they had 169.xxx.xxx.xxx a 169 ip address usually shows a network problem it is known as the microsoft autoconfiguration ip address
    You're an idiot.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you said you manually configured your IP address...
    mine are showing up 0.0.0.0

I don't think my problem has anything to do with service pack 2. I installed Microsoft AntiSypware(beta), on my laptop and ever since the internet hasnt been working. when i click repair a box shows up that says "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address" I tried reinstalling the drivers already and that didnt work. I actually installed service pack 2 to see if that would fix it but it didnt. I also installed winstockxp...didnt work. i renewed my IPs in the cmd prompt also...nothing...i dont know what else to do. i uninstalled all my antispyware software cause i thought it might of been firewalled or something...but that didnt work. i still have spydoctor though

if you need anymore info...i'll be checkin this every 5 min

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I really hope that i am not posting yet another of the same thing, but I have read through all your posts and tried all the suggestions to no avail. I live in a serious mac household, and when we (the family) decided to get a wireless connection, every computer in the house other then my PC desktop could easily connect... I got a wireless card (linksys Wireless G PCI adapter WMp54G) and I have been able to connect but there is no internet. First I got the cannot renew IP adress, then after reading this forum I dled WinsockXP (here is yet another question, I could not get a wire connection to my desktop so i dled the Winsock to my Mac laptop, burned it to a disk, and sent it to my desktop... not sure if that might have screwed it up) and after running the fix program instead of getting "cannot renew IP address" I am getting "The following action cannot be completed : Connecting to the Wireless Network"... please... someone help me!!! :'(

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem. I recently upgraded ZoneAlarm and the problem started after that. I get the message and click on the balloon which allows me to repair the connection which then fixes the problem until it happens again, minutes or hours later.

Seems the 'puter is not automatically refreshing this information.

Have tried WinsockXPFix but it does no more than the Balloon refresh.