Thread: Ram

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ram

Hey,

I have no idea if this is in the correct place but it seemed the best option to post here.

Anyway I am having a huge upgrade on my computer; buying from Ebuyer etc and I really need to know what type of RAM I have at whether it's DDR PC3200 or whatever else there is.

I would also like to avoid opening up my computer and taking my RAM sticks out.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a quick google and found this:
    If you know the make and model of your computer (which should be written on it somewhere ) have a look at crucial.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also try a program like Sisoft Sandra to tell you more about the type of ram in your computer, and at which speed it works.
    Travel Photos on Flickr - Twitter

“Never give up. Never surrender”

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the links I was reccomended Everest which I used and I am now in a pickle because I need to buy 512MB RAM but I don't know anywhere to buy that I understand thoroughly so if you could link me to a few 512MB RAM sticks with the following preferences:

Module Size 512 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)

Module Type Unbuffered

Memory Type DDR SDRAM

Memory Speed PC3200 (200mhz)

Module Width 64 Bit

It would be greatly appreciated I have a budget upto £45 on RAM.

Thanks
    Dan Williamson

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When buying RAM, it's best to find the same brand and RAM with the same timings as the RAM that is already installed.

You will probably have to open the computer up and look at the model number on the RAM, then google for the specifications.

As long as you're not wearing any wool, standing on a carpet, or moving around too much to produce a lot of static electricity, you shouldn't have any problems with opening the case. Just be sure to ground yourself before handling the hardware (touch a metal part of the case).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Force Flow
    When buying RAM, it's best to find the same brand and RAM with the same timings as the RAM that is already installed.

You will probably have to open the computer up and look at the model number on the RAM, then google for the specifications.

As long as you're not wearing any wool, standing on a carpet, or moving around too much to produce a lot of static electricity, you shouldn't have any problems with opening the case. Just be sure to ground yourself before handling the hardware (touch a metal part of the case).
    I know how to open my computer and take my RAM sticks out I just wasn't sure on how to buy a new stick.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're looking for DDR PC3200 RAM, probably the most common RAM out their today. Just be sure its DDR, not DDR2 and at least PC3200 or higher and it will work fine.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    You're looking for DDR PC3200 RAM, probably the most common RAM out their today. Just be sure its DDR, not DDR2 and at least PC3200 or higher and it will work fine.
    Thanks thats basically what I wanted to here! I have been looking at a 512MB stick I think it will be compatible.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=78548

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea that RAM should work just fine.