SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't seem to find any major advantages vBulletin has over phpbb. Can someone point them out to me? I have to say, my biggest pet peeve with vBulletin is the fact that it doesn't use simple height and width attributes with the images!! What a pain!! Thx in advance.

Ted
    New Jerseyans: Beat your traffic ticket!
    http://www.njtrafficfines.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBulletin doesn't use height and width tags because everyone uses their own images which are usually differnet sizes.

I know I had to edit my template to remove the height and width tags on some becauase I was using smaller images.

-Peter

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, phpbb is quite awesome, isnt it?
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think so!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does phpBB have polls, moving threads to another forum while leaving a "this thread has been moved", instant messenging, an indexed search function and the ability to subscribe to forums / threads?

Those are the features you get in vBulletin 2.0 that in my mind set it apart from the rest. Although phpBB is an excellent alternative if you don't want to spend any money / want to go open source I still rate vBulletin as king of the crop for forum software at the moment.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as free ones go you guys should have a look at BlazeBoard

http://www.bbhacks.com

It is miles ahead of phpBB and coded well also. phpBB is pretty much hacked together. It has all the instant messenging and stuff that vb2 has. and its free
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm has anyone else tried BlazeBoard?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Advantages: 200 forums on main page - vB uses 18 queries. phpBB uses over 700. (That's not a typo - seven hundred).

That's for starters.
    Kevin

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've heard opinions all across the spectrum.

I've heard people that say Blazeboard is poorly coded, but rarely that Blazeboard is better, but every has an opinion. Mine is that, of the current free ones, I like phpBB. The querie thing is not that big a deal, but will be made a lot better when v2 comes out.

Does phpBB have polls, moving threads to another forum while leaving a "this thread has been moved", instant messenging, an indexed search function and the ability to subscribe to forums / threads?
    No polls, you can move, but I don't believe it moves a message, it does have Instant Messaging, it does have a search function, not the ability to subscribe.

vBulletin is better, I'm not questioning that, at this time I feel it is better. But, if your like me, and can't afford to buy a vB license everytime you launch a forum, then phpBB is great. I have installed a few hacks and I like what I see.

You can see one of my phpBB's at http://www.sportsforums.net/forums - .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree completely, if you don't want (or don't need) to spend the money then phpBB is an excellent choice - I'm intending to use it on my next site that needs a threaded forum.

The 700 SQL queries thing is worrying rthough - shouldn't be a problem on low traffic sites but I wouldn't consider using something like that for anything with high traffic and a large number of forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no comparison in terms of raw scalability, performance, and features - vBulletin is miles ahead. The only issue is one of price - not performance.

The template system is alone is worth half the cost of the software - I can't live without it,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Skunk
    In 0.96 BETA, it's possible to post polls!

btw, it's very easy to install! I've installed it under Windows98, only fill in your dbname, user en pass. Run the install file, and everything is done!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same for vB. Plus then you can import UBB files by filling in 5 fields and clicking 4 times.
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I broke down and bought vBulletin... best thing I ever did. Installation was incredibly easy. I'm completely amazed at how much better it is than ubb, and ever more amazed at how easy it was to import my old ubb files. I was thinking that phpbb was the way to go, boy was I wrong. Thanks for all your help!!

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you don't realize how incrediby good vbulletin is until you have seen the nuts and bolts. The templating is amazing, and the code is super-clean and easily modified.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both and VBulletin is much much better, that is not to say that PHPBB is not very good for a free piece of software though. However, you do get what you pay for. The VB support forums are excellent too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, vBulletin is better, I will say that again. When phpBB 2 comes out within a month or so, it'll be a bit closer.

As for phpBB support, that is one of the reasons my site was created, to provide good and friendly support for phpBB because the official site, a lot of the time, most things get overlooked or people get plain rude. Just got tired of it.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things that drives me nuts about phpBB sites, is there is no easy way to see what messages I have not read since my last visit.

vBulletin's View New Posts function has limitations surrounding what you have read and what you have not, but I cannot find anything in phpBB that let's me even determine where to start looking when I come back to a forum.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phpBB2 will have just about every feature mentioned above. (not sure on specifics, since it is still in beta)

but when it comes down to what you get for what you pay, phpBB is the better deal.
    If you have the money, go for vB, if you don't, your not losin much.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Defender1
    phpBB2 will have just about every feature mentioned above. (not sure on specifics, since it is still in beta)

but when it comes down to what you get for what you pay, phpBB is the better deal.
    If you have the money, go for vB, if you don't, your not losin much.
    When it has these features, I'll consider it.

I find I do not visit phpBB boards as often as I do vBulletin forums, as I find it very difficult to pick up where I left off.

If your users don't use your forum, the cost of the software is really not interesting.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/phpBB2
    This is what phpBB2 will be like out of the box.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but is there anyone who is running a very, very large PHPBB with success? I'm talking millions of posts, tens of thousands of users, 500 or more online, etc. I would like to know!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thewitt,

Check out my sites, I have a View Latest Posts feature and although not as good as View New Posts, it is somewhat of a solution. I also have cookies on my site - I have installed a hack that has you always logged in.

MattR,

I feel that that is kind of an unfair justification.

I mean SitePoint almost never has 500 users on their forums at one time. There aren't that many sites that do! However, there are so extremely active phpBB's and I will get back to you, I am going to ask some people at my phpBB site.

Also, maybe you may want to look at my KarateForums.com. One of the leading Martial Arts Discussion communities on the web. We use phpBB and have a major partner and will soon be unvieling new sections to the site. We may not have tons of members, but it is getting there, no doubt.

Another point I'd make is that certain genres, such as sports, or your site, attract more interest than subjects such as Martial Arts. Martial Arts, for example, is more of a niche. So... 500 users on line, I doubt that will ever happen. But I do have very high expectations for the site, regardless of us not using vBulletin.

If I get the money one day... maybe I'll buy a vBulletin. But for now, I feel comfortable with phpBB.

Thank you.

Edit:

I would also like to add that I believe that vBulletin, and I have always said this, is the best out of the box message board solution available. It is the best message board available, period in my opinion. But, if you are willing to get your hands dirty, phpBB can do the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Mr. Froggy. I do regularly post at Karateforums and just wanted to dispute your last claim. While sports has a far larger user reach the format is also far more clustered, how many sports forums are there on the net? Tons and tons and tons under many different sub genres. It's going to be very hard to stand out. Martial arts on the other hand are represented appalingly online, I have looked for other, good forums, on the subject and yours really are the best I can find. Therefore a smaller userbase but less competition. which is why, I think, your karate forums are doing beter than your sports ones, I believe.

VB is a lot better but phpbb is an excellent choice if you don't have the money for a VB or don't have the money for repeated VB licenses if you want to create multiple sites (Like Patrick I imagine)

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by iFroggy
    MattR,

I feel that that is kind of an unfair justification.
    I just want to know if it can handle it. It will illustrate, quite clearly, how well it is designed and coded.

vBulletin 1.x certainly couldn't without significant re-workings (somewhat due to MySQL sux0ring).

Just wondering is all. I certainly don't care what you use, but since we run a high-volume forum I certainly want the best product out there.