SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone aware of a technique, software, or technology that allows a regular non-web person to perform updates to their web site without FTPing, HTML, or using a Frontpage thing?

For example, one of my clients has a shopping cart. Currently I go in and hard code product info into a file, upload to server, is then which is picked up by the shopping cart template.

Besides the shopping cart example, I'm generally looking for options for a regular person to be able to perform edits or updates to their own web site with out a web master's assistance.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

User editable pages

Hi,
    I've recently built a site for a realtor (www.cornettrealtors.com) that wanted to be able to add listings and edit certain pages. I've accoplished this by using various CGI scripts that can be found at http://www.cgi-resources.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/ . Problem is, people want to be able to edit a site but don't want to learn how to do so. I tell most people that any site is editable by three methods.

1-take the time and effort to learn how to create and edit HTML code, THEN learn how to use an HTML editor
    2-pay the money it takes to have the kind of programming done that makes a site editable
    3-pay a firm to do it for you

Most pay me.
    Dave Perry
    www.dpgrafix.com
    design@dpgrafix.com
    off: 540-345-0455
    cell: 540-293-7626

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have any knowledge of a server side language writing a script that allows a user to update their own site is one of the most basic functions of such a language - its just file input and output.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for responding, Chris. Could you provide me with some direction on resources for server side script writing. I'm thinking of learning mySQL and PHP - are these the appropriate tools?