SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question IE hack for IE footer shifting?

In IE6, it looks like my page footer only shifts up when I hover over a link in the left column on my /blog page. You can see the effect if you scroll about 3/4 of the way down and then hover over a link on the left. The footer disobediently shifts itself up; then hover over a link in the middle column and it will retreat back to where it's supposed to go! The page validates through XHTML 1.0 Transitional, so I'm not sure what could have slipped by to make this mistake; do I need an IE hack to fix this one?.

Edit: The template I used had a bunch of hacks, or may have been set up slightly differently. I've changed the layout a lot since then, so maybe I lost one of the key parts of the code. I did notice that the above effect only happens when the middle column is the longest.
    Last edited by RockOfVictory; Sep 1, 2004 at 13:58.
    ~ Zepfanman.com: When you can't find it on Google

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

It sounds like a position:relative bug but I haven't had time to look properly.

It usually happens in ie if a parent has position:relative then ie likes it to follow through down to its child. Sometimes it can be hard to find exactly where to put it.

Also you sometimes need the height :1% hack or the display:inline-block hack. Its a matter of trial and error.

I will look tomorrow if you haven't sorted it by then

Paul

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B
    Also you sometimes need the height :1%
    Hey! Thank you again. Somehow, I made an edumicated guess on one of the height:1% sections and I got it on the first try. Simply amazing. Guess I should look more into hacks/filters? This article seems to be a good start: http://www.sitepoint.com/blog-post-view.php?id=179726