SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Question About MS SQL Server Please.

Hi.

I'm just wondering. I've bought a copy of MS SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition. I know that it allows me to design databases. Does this also let me run them? For example, I want to build a Windows Application that runs my business. I wanted to use SQL for the back end instead of Access. This program will just be ran on my development machine, it's not going to be given to other people etc, because it's going to be customized for my business only, anyway. I know I can build the database etc, with the version of SQL Server I have, but can I also use it at full strength to run my software I create too? I thought maybe it would be a benifit of being a SQL Server developer. I noticed that it installed, or at least it said it installed SQL Server 2000 Instance on my XP Professional computer.

When I say as full strength, I mean access to everything. I have MSDE on my other computer but from what I'm told it's databases etc, are limited in size and functionallty...

What if later my business grew and I had a few more computers added for other developers etc. Would those computers be able to use my program too? Or at that point would I need to get a $20,000 edition of SQL Server... I figured SQL Server, is SQL Server, and just the developer edition could be like the academic version. It has the same power, but cheaper price because MS wants developers to be able to afford it, if no developers can buy it then they can't make money off the "big" version because there will be no programs that use it.

Is it really basically the same thing at a cheaper price??

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You hit the nail on the head. The developer edition is priced cheaply but includes all of the same functionality as SQL server.

The only gotcha is that you aren't supposed to run a production site using this version, the license agreement that you agreed to states that.

Note too that you may not need Enterprise Edition either. There are other cheaper flavors of SQL Server that may suit your needs.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/development.asp
    As a precursor to getting the full functionality and ability to deploy that comes with SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition, developers interested in SQL Server 2000 may want to obtain the more license restricted SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition for development and testing purposes. SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition is an excellent way for developers to get a taste of the full functionality found in Enterprise Edition, as well as getting ready to benefit from the ability to deploy Enterprise Edition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guimauve
    You hit the nail on the head. The developer edition is priced cheaply but includes all of the same functionality as SQL server.

The only gotcha is that you aren't supposed to run a production site using this version, the license agreement that you agreed to states that.

Note too that you may not need Enterprise Edition either. There are other cheaper flavors of SQL Server that may suit your needs.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/development.asp
    Cool. Thanks!

I don't think Microsoft has to worry about my business getting that big anyway, I'd be nice, but not likely.

Thanks, at least now I know that if I put all this time into building this application I'll actually be able to use it.