User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I just got my first RaQ, it is a RaQ4i from rackshack
    which comes with php.

I want to install mySQL onto it, ive read in some places that it is recommeneded that mySQL should be installed before php if you want a good php/mySQL backend.

Now... so does that mean that i would have to uninstall php and then go and install mySQL, and then reinstall php?

Or if not, what is the easiest way to get mySQL installed onto the RaQ?

Thanks,
    Ardi
    http://www.myringtones.net (down again) - Free Ringtones for your Nokia and Ericsson GSM phone : brought to you by The Ringtone Factory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I do not know but with PWS I installed the PWS, then the PHP, then the MySQL.

I did a search of mysql and found a location that maintains that the order of install is important.

http://www.tek-tips.com/gfaqs.cfm/le...d/436/sfid/254

I do not know the accuracy of the stat ement but would move carefully.

I checked Kevin's tutorial and did not notice a statement of order but did notice that mysql was very definitely first in the sequence.

I checked the mySQL by duBois and no mention of the sequence.

Anyone help?
    Last edited by edshuck; Mar 22, 2001 at 12:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP and mySQL are completely seperate programs - they even run seperately on the server (they don't tie in to each other at server level at all - unlike for example mod_perl and apache which are tightly linked). As a result I honestly can't see how the order in which they are installed could possibly matter - you should be able to install mySQL, start the process and then have any PHP scripts that need mySQL connect to "localhost" to access the mySQL database.

That said... I've never installed PHP or mySQL on linux properly (I got them both from packages courtesy of SuSE linux) and my experience with linux is currently extremely limited so I could be wrong.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you a definitive answer as opposed to my "almost positive but not quite".

Cheers,

Skunk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last weekend I just did exactly what you are describing. New RAQ4i with PHP but no mySQL. This was my first time "owning" a linux box so I'm a newb. The easiest solution I could find was to download the .RPM auto install file. I didn't know the order could possibly matter so I didn't worry about it.

Let me know if that helps or if you have other questions. It actually went on without much of a hitch (besides the location of the mysqlsock).
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah hi i found a way to install it through the server management. It was so easy!

All I had to do is copy and paste the location of the mySQL package and it automatically installed itself.
    http://www.myringtones.net (down again) - Free Ringtones for your Nokia and Ericsson GSM phone : brought to you by The Ringtone Factory