User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site needs to access AS 400. What Next?

Any suggestions will be helpful...

I have been asked to redesign a web site. The site accesses a database on an AS 400. I know nothing about an AS 400. I do know SQL (Oracle, MS SQL, My SQL, etc). What is the first step I need to take to determine if I am capable of dealing with this situation. I do not want to get in over my head and upset the customer. I have been honest that I am not familial with that system but I would take a look at it to see If I would be able to work through it. With no experience with the AS 400 would I have any problem just "winging it"?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spencermjax
    Any suggestions will be helpful...

I have been asked to redesign a web site. The site accesses a database on an AS 400. I know nothing about an AS 400. I do know SQL (Oracle, MS SQL, My SQL, etc). What is the first step I need to take to determine if I am capable of dealing with this situation. I do not want to get in over my head and upset the customer. I have been honest that I am not familial with that system but I would take a look at it to see If I would be able to work through it. With no experience with the AS 400 would I have any problem just "winging it"?
    Well, most likely it is a DB2 database.... you might want to ask to make sure. That's a legitimate question to ask your client. You might also want to talk with one of their system administrators to see what tools they use (if at all) to interact with the database... although they might use terminal emulation (green screen).

The thing is DB2 is not much different than most other databases, although I'm not an expert in this area, and you will be able to get by with your SQL knowledge as long as you can find a connection string to get access to it. Which, come to think of it should be available on the the old website.
    Last edited by cob; Aug 31, 2004 at 13:02.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing wrong with asking your client for more information on their database. I would ask for a limited access account to make sure that you are comfortable with their system. It's better for you to know that you can do it rather than you jump in without knowing and end up getting in over your head.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next steps....

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmann
    There is nothing wrong with asking your client for more information on their database. I would ask for a limited access account to make sure that you are comfortable with their system. It's better for you to know that you can do it rather than you jump in without knowing and end up getting in over your head.
    ask and you shall receive...

looks like the fine people at Sitepoint are looking out for ya!

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/php-database-db2