SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i saw many content management scripts, what are they and what are their purpose. And what they DO ?

Brian
    pease

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They "manage content".

Essentially any site is going to basically boil down to a design and a load of text content - be it news stories, articles, reviews, features or whatever.

A content management system helps you to update such a site. For example, instead of having to edit the HTML files that make up your website when you want to add a new news story you would log on to your content management system with a username and password (just like using these forums really) and type the news story into a form. Click a button and the story goes straight up on the site

Basically content management systems make running a website a HUGE deal easier. The really good ones even let you set up multi user accounts to you could give someone else a username/password that lets them update your news page without having to give them your FTP details which would let them edit your whole site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    that sounds great, for everybody !, don't u know a free one out there ???, GOOD one if there is any!
    With no-ads prefebly!

Brian
    Thanx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a bunch, but you could start with mArticle (by vBulletin developer Mike Sullivan) or if don't know PHP & MySQL, you could learn em and setup a content management system at the same time, here at SitePoint.
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know there are a bunch, i think anything on the net is unique!
    but i mean the BEST , the best u consider

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best free one I've seen is PHPNuke - it offers an incredible set of functionality and is completley free (it's open source so you can modify it however you like). It uses PHP and mySQL:

www.phpnuke.org

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the most advanced CMS' (Content Management System) is probably typo3 which can be found at www.typo3.com

rgds,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've been to their site, and i've searches for about 10 mins a place where they could explain me their PHPNUKE stuff in vain.... I didn't see at all. What is it in fact ??. Do they put an ad ???. Is it difficult to install it??. Is it good ??. WHAT IS IT AND WHAT IT DOES PLEASE ?

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.phpnuke.org/faq.php <-- the PHP Nuke FAQ
    What is PHP-Nuke?

PHP-Nuke is a news automated system specially designed to be used in Intranets and Internet. The Administrator has total control of his web site, registered users, and he will have in the hand a powerful assembly of tools to maintain an active and 100% interactive web site using databases.
    It actually contains a lot more than just news. PHP Nuke has functions for quickly and easily setting up downloads sections, reviews pages, FAQs, forums and much more. The best part is it's all there when you install it - once you've got it installed you can mess around with it customising it to your heart's content.

You can download it in it's entirety from here: http://www.phpnuke.org/download.php?dcategory=PHP-Nuke

It's a PHP script so it requires that your web host supports PHP and mySQL before you can do anything with it though. If your host doesn't support these you'll need to find another host.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it difficult to install it

Quote : I didn't see at all. What is it in fact ??. Do they put an ad ???. Is it difficult to install it??. Is it good ??. WHAT IS IT AND WHAT IT DOES PLEASE ?

It's very easy to install, no ad ( you can put you own ads), really good although there is some security concerns regarding that script. You can manage news, poll, banner etc. I installed phpnuke in 10 minute although i'm new to php

note: sorry for my english

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, have a look at PHPnuke.org itself - the site IS phpnuke.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too looked at PHP nuke and had a lot of trouble figuring out what it was. You'd think the developers would be smart enough to put an obvious link to describe this software. I actually had to download the software and view the source to figure out what it did. (And they only have one sentence describing the software in the FAQ.)

Once I figured out what it is, it looks pretty nice.

Owen