SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I am sick of w3 standards

Hi guys... plz dont read the subject line and assume 'ugh that guy hates the thing we love'....

I would love my sites to be 110% W3 compliant... but sometimes its a real pain in the *** to make that same design look exactly same in different browsers because XHTML+CSS based designs always look a bit too different on different browsers...

Please note that I am not talking about sites that have a simple design...but when you go a little more complex, it is indeed a pain...

So after some 2 years of hard work working for accessible designs, I have decided that i will wait a little more longer until CSS+XHTML support becomes solid enough to not make me put too much time fixing little things to make it work in every browser.

If i write the same layout in HTML using tables, all browsers show the exact same result in 1 go!

Maybe i m wrong.. but any suggessions if i should wait a little or continue killing lots of time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite frankly Tables vs. CSS is too incessant for me to battle for any more. But I will say this: I like to encourage people to move to better browsers, and if that means that all of the websites I make don't look as pretty (though still retain their functionality) when someone visits using Netscape Navigator Gold 3.04

I know that it's a hopeless goal to try to make everyone always have the latest version of every browser that visits my website, and it's also a hopeless one to try and make my website look the same in every single browser that people use to visit my website, but I chose the first option, because I feel it allows for websites, user experience, and the internet in general, to improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ur points are valid but my client doesnt understand these things... he gives me the layout done in adobe Illustrator, and asks me to make sure everything looks exactly same in every browser as that adobe illustrator layout... he even prints screens and matches each pixel! so atleast at the moment, i have no choice but to do those things in HTML 4 as this way I get things done pretty quickly and pretty perfect. The client doesnt need to know whats XHTML etc.. he wants his design to look exactly same in every major browser IE/Mozilla/Opera....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cross-browser problems have always existed... this isn't something to do with XHTML/CSS. Back in the day, how many sites had the line "Best viewed in Netscape Navigator 4"?

Nowadays we care more, and we are also in a technology transition (I think that we always will be) so it may be a little difficult to keep up. At the end of the day, if your job is to satisfy your client, not your client's clients, then it will hurt him more than it will hurt you. Or perhaps it doesn't matter anyway.

Regards,
    Douglas
    Hello World

High fives all round! bradley317's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Codebox
    ur points are valid but my client doesnt understand these things... he gives me the layout done in adobe Illustrator, and asks me to make sure everything looks exactly same in every browser as that adobe illustrator layout... he even prints screens and matches each pixel! so atleast at the moment, i have no choice but to do those things in HTML 4 as this way I get things done pretty quickly and pretty perfect. The client doesnt need to know whats XHTML etc.. he wants his design to look exactly same in every major browser IE/Mozilla/Opera....
    There's nothing wrong with using HTML for the time being, even with tables providing you use them sensibly, which normally mean sparingly.

You're client doesn't have to know about XHTML and CSS but if you produce him a site that loads ten times faster than one of his old table based ones, I'm sure he'll forgive you for being a couple of pixels out in a 5 year old browser.

Web standards allow you to design for tomorrow's browsers rather than yesterday's.
    Hello, hello, what's all this shouting?
    We'll have no trouble here

(Helping a pal... http://www.funkdub.info)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will agree the time involved in making your site XHTML compliant by w3 standards can be quite heavy. Tables i see as fine aslong as they are used correctly and sparingly as before mentioned.

In my experience however making tableless designs took some more effort and time but the more often you do it the qucker you get at it, you figure out all these little tricks and in no time you can produce table-less results quicker.

Id rather see people adopt the new standards and way of designing but like you mention some of the features in css atm are a lil flakey, so i guess my stance is..yes use tables if you have to but use them sparingly

i myself will continue to adhere to the w3 standards because its always nice to know you did something right.