SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I recruit someone to double check my work?

Greetings, all!

This might sound like a really weird request, but I'm redesigning my site in CSS and I need a little help.

I'm pretty much done reworking the front page and I figure once I have that nailed down, I can drop in the content for the rest of the pages no problem.

The issue I'm having at the moment is I'm maybe 80% that I'm going about things the right way.

I was curious if there were any interested parties who might be able to help me double-check my work. This could be a series of exchanges by e-mail as to keep things out of the way in this community.

I'm not picturing a large time investment. Basically I'm just looking to eliminate redundancy in my design and make the front page as tight as possible.

There are a few inconsistency issues that I wouldn't mind addressing as well. For example, a class that I've assigned to make links a different color from the rest of the site links works fine in Firefox, but not IE. I also have a font issue where I've enlarged a piece of copy to 30px. It works in IE, but not Firefox. Making sense so far?

I'm a quick study, so anything you teach me I'll be sure to pick up fast. But I'm kind of a "learn by doing" type of guy and I need someone to introduce specific concepts or shortcuts to me first in order to achieve the effectiveness I'm after.

Here is the page as I've designed it so far - it's about 75% complete (in terms of look and feel)
    http://www.theaterhopper.com/index3.php.

Here's the CSS file if you'd like to take a look at it
    http://www.theaterhopper.com/style_main.css

If anyone has a little extra time and would consider helping me, my e-mail address is theaterhopper@hotmail.com

I don't know if I can pay you, but I have posters and stuff that I sell on my site that I would be willing to trade for a little tutelage!

Many thanks for your interest!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice work.

Using Firefox:
    On your store page, your horizontal rule tags are not displaying correctly under headings "PIMP TOM T-SHIRT", "THEATER HOPPER CLASSIC", "TRAINSPOTTING PARODY", and "FALLCON 2003 EXCLUSIVE. You've also got some background image repeat issues with this page. Internet Explorer renders these fine.

All in all I am very impressed with your site. You are very artistic.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the index page is the only one that I've developed using CSS. I wasn't aware of those other problems in FireFox, though - so thanks for the heads up.

Boy, when you go to the trouble of redesigning a site, it's like trying to keep sand in a sifter! There were all these issues I wasn't aware of for the longest time, and I was pretty much designing for IE only, to boot! Bad idea...

Hopefully once I get the CSS running smoothly, the site will look the same to the majority of browsers instead of just one.

Thanks for the compliments on the site!

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I've just had a quick look at your page and I notice you are using this technique to centre your page.

Code:
    #all {
     position:absolute;
     left:50%;
     width:760px;
     margin-left:-380px;

}
    While that technique is useful in some circumstances it has the draw back of leeting the left side of the layout disappear off the windows left edge as the screen is resized smaller.

This may seem like a small difference when its usually the right side of the screen that gets cut off, but unlike the right side a scrollbar doesn't appear to let you scroll to the missing content. So anyone on a smaller screen will be unable to access the content on the left side at all, as they normally could using the scrollbar.

The best way to centre is to use margin:auto and text-align:center combination which will center the screen and in IE will let it come to rest at the left edge when resized. For other browers a min-width in the body will work for them.

Code:
    body{
    text-align:center;/* for ie5,5.5. */
    min-width:760px;/* for moz etc */
    }
    #all {
      width:760px;
     margin-left:auto;/*centre for compliant browsers*/
     margin-right:auto;/*centre*/
    text-align:left;/*reset text*/
    position:relative;/* stacking context if needed*/
    }
    I also notice in your code that you have used display:block a lot of times when it is unecessary. Block level elements are display:block by default just as inline elements are display:inline by default. You only need to declare it when you want to change an elements behaviour.

There are a few inconsistency issues that I wouldn't mind addressing as well. For example, a class that I've assigned to make links a different color from the rest of the site links works fine in Firefox, but not IE. I also have a font issue where I've enlarged a piece of copy to 30px. It works in IE, but not Firefox
    If you point out exactly where the problems are then someone will take a look unless of course you've already found someone to help you privately .

Paul