SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

floating image printing problem in IE

Apologies if this is a really obvious one and is covered all over the place. I have had a look around, but......I realise the answer is in here somewhere.

Anyway, I am have building a print css file so that the information site I built will print properly. Works in most browsers, just not IE, which most people use. Very handy.

I have an image, floated to the right, text around it. When printed the image pushes the text down and it looks odd.

A demo page can be found at www.exothermic.com.au/intranet/gatewayindex.html

css file at http://www.exothermic.com.au/intrane.../universal.css

I'm happy to write a print css file. Just not sure what to put in it.

Thanks for any help.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The problem is cause by ie's justify bug. Ie makes elements slightly wider than they should be when the text is justified. This can have consequences depending on the layout.

The easier solution is just to set the text to text-align:left in your print style-sheet and the problem goes away.

Code:
    p {
    font-size: 12px;
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-style: normal;
    text-align: justify;
    color: #333333;
    }
    * html p {text-align:left}/* for ie only*/
    The other solution if you want justified printout is to put the paragraphs inside another container which is smaller than the original parent container by a percent or 2. This may be awkward to achieve because the parent container has no specified width and ie hates that and would mean more hacks to get it right (e.g. height:1% on the parent).

It may not even work with the float anyway!

I'd just stick with left aligned text on the print out

Paul
    [edit]
    No... Just tried it and ie doesn't like the method I mentioned above. You'll have to stick with changing the text to text-align:left on the print stylesheet.
    [/code]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you...

Thanks for that, Paul.

Left align is fine and works.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B
    Hi,

The problem is cause by ie's justify bug. Ie makes elements slightly wider than they should be when the text is justified. This can have consequences depending on the layout.

The easier solution is just to set the text to text-align:left in your print style-sheet and the problem goes away.

Code:
    p {
    font-size: 12px;
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-style: normal;
    text-align: justify;
    color: #333333;
    }
    * html p {text-align:left}/* for ie only*/
    The other solution if you want justified printout is to put the paragraphs inside another container which is smaller than the original parent container by a percent or 2. This may be awkward to achieve because the parent container has no specified width and ie hates that and would mean more hacks to get it right (e.g. height:1% on the parent).

It may not even work with the float anyway!

I'd just stick with left aligned text on the print out

Paul
    [edit]
    No... Just tried it and ie doesn't like the method I mentioned above. You'll have to stick with changing the text to text-align:left on the print stylesheet.
    [/code]