SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,
    I'm a beginning PHP programmer (I'm experienced at javascript, c++, c, visual basic, etc.. so I not a total beginner).

I'm designing a site that features articles, and at the moment the articles are all static html pages (with SSI headers).

I am interested in the sitepoint main sites (eg webmasterbase.com) which have article.php

I've already created the table to store the articles and a table for the authors, and also a table for the article categories, etc etc...

My questions are:

- I want to include html tags in the articles, but my writers know only limited html... should I include some sort of interface that lets them format it? How do sitepoint members submit articles with bold, italic, list items, etc...?

- I'd also like to include images in some of the articles, for illustration purposes. Should the images be stored as files or as binary blobs in the database?

Any comments? Thanks all...

---
    An example of my static html articles can be seen at
    http://www.mostlyamphigory.com/47/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

I have not submitted any articles but i will ask one of the submitters to respond to the form they used.

In kevin's tutorial, there is a section on regular expressions and that will handle most of the common format items and then you can expand it to the point that the submitted item would be "web ready".

Posting a jpg or gif is just a further step in the process with the identification of the location.

Generally, I think the storing of the graphics outside the sql server is the wy to go. But this is highly dependant on the hit count and the stress on the server.

For that matter, if the pages are not required to be totally dynamic. then make some of them a bit more static with the use of the suggestions in the article.

peace

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay!

I now have a fully database driven site online.

I converted my existing static site.

The site is at http://www.mostlyamphigory.com/

The URLs are search engine friendly because they look just like static URLs - ie /articles/afiles.html rather than /articles.php?name=afiles (which also works if you type it into my pages, btw).

So to the untrained eye it looks as if it is all static html files, but it is actually all run by three files: index.php, articles.php, archives.php

Parts of my old, static site can be found at http://www.mostlyamphigory.com/47/ at the time being.