SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE5+ for Mac handling links incorrectly

IE5+ for Mac is generating linkable areas outside the actual space taken up by the link itself. It is a little hard to explain so just take a look:

Page

CSS

As far as I can tell the only browser that has the problem is IE for Mac but if anyone can find the problem elsewhere please let me know.

(None of the image files are loaded so just disregard those.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a problem that I always had for IE5 Mac and my only suggestion is don't waste your time trying to make it work. In fact, don't even waste your time thinking about how to make it work. IE5 makes up about 0.000001% of your browsing audience. Get it working in Mozilla-based browsers, then work on the other browsers based on user popularity.
    ~Dorian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately all of our client's computers are mac and they are all using IE5+ so even though the rest of the population makes up 0.000001% of the browsing audience our immediate audience is 100%. This makes the problem particularly painful because the layout seems to work in absolutely everything but IE for mac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like the linkable area is both over the link itself and in the location the link would be if the text was not centered.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I don't have my mac connected for testing at the moment but there is some info on this page about phantom links that may have some bearing.

http://www.macedition.com/cb/ie5macbugs/

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SComm
    Unfortunately all of our client's computers are mac and they are all using IE5+ so even though the rest of the population makes up 0.000001% of the browsing audience our immediate audience is 100%. This makes the problem particularly painful because the layout seems to work in absolutely everything but IE for mac.
    That is unfortunate. Are they still using OS9?
    ~Dorian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive my ignorance but does the term "Bug" mean "can't fix this problem"? I visited the ie5macbugs link and it does seem that the problem is the Phantom Link Bug but I can't find any information on possible fixes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theGWS
    That is unfortunate. Are they still using OS9?
    They are using X but old habits die hard and they won't give up IE for Safari and definitely wouldn't go so far as to download anything like Firefox, etc.. I think a few of them don't know what email is...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I use position: absolute; the phantom link bug doesn't apply but I cannot get the links to line up in the center. Is there a way to use position: absolute; to center a <span>?

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    the problem is the Phantom Link Bug but I can't find any information on possible fixes.
    There were two (dubious) fixes on that page. One was dummy text before the link and I think the other was to do with wrapping the links up in floats. Howvever I haven't been able to test them out so I shouldn't rely on them as it does seem to be a known bug.

If position absolute works then you could possibly place the links using percentage measurements but would be a bit messy. Alternatively you could float the links with percentage margins etc.

Failing that give up on the centering for ie mac and have the links just left aligned. Use one if the mac hiding methods etc

Sorry I can't offer more constructive help.

Paul

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should just use a unordered list instead...why are you using spans for the navigation?

Check out http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/ for template lists you could use