User Tag List

Forum Buyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Creating linkware....

Hi my fellow developers!

I'm looking to launch a new line of free scripts for people's websites, but with 2 purposes...

1) The initial version will be free but I want a link back to my site to promote my services.

2) I plan for the free users to be my BETA testers as well. Once I've further developed the software I want to make release a PRO version with the option to remove the link if they purchase a license.

So.... what I want to know is how would I go about coding a function that checks to ensure they haven't removed my link or just somethign to ensure that the link is displayed. If the link code is removed or tampered with it breaks the script and gives an error message.

Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is practically no way to do this since they could just as easily remove that function that does the checking. Your best bet is to make it as difficult as possible.

In all my years/months/days of making free scripts, I've never once had an issue of someone removing my links.
    -Melchior (Stephen Craton)

Forum Buyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melchiorus
    There is practically no way to do this since they could just as easily remove that function that does the checking. Your best bet is to make it as difficult as possible.

In all my years/months/days of making free scripts, I've never once had an issue of someone removing my links.
    Is that because they just didnt want to or is it because you made it hard?

What do you suggest as a few strategies to make it hard?
    Founder/Admin of a pretty decent chat forum
    Download free winterboard themes for your iPhone
    I run sites powered by vbulletin and one about the HTC Jetstream.

Forum Buyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I think I could do.....

1) Add a funtion to the script that checks to ensure a link is present back to your site. If they try to remove the link, the script fails. Of course this isn't fool proof but if you make it hard enough that would deter most thiefs. You can also have the link say something like "Trial Version" and let it be removed in the paid version.

2) Is a little more controversial. It's called a "call home" function. Have a function that loads whenever say the user logs into the control panel. The function would then call your server and report the action along with the user's IP, the server's IP and hostname (so you can report them to their ISP and their host). You could even get spiffy and set it up so that it won't let them access the control panel unless they have a valid license key installed. You keep a database of the licenses on your server and when they "call home" function checks and theirs is invalid or not present it let's you know.

NOTE: If your script has a setup function you could even have it do the check during the initial setup and never do ti again to preserve bandwidth costs.

Number 2 is of course not fail safe either. I mean heck their are hundreds of hacked version of vBulletin floating around on the net. But it you're smart enough with them you can deter most crooks from stealing your hard work.

optix
    Founder/Admin of a pretty decent chat forum
    Download free winterboard themes for your iPhone
    I run sites powered by vbulletin and one about the HTC Jetstream.