SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this has been a common topic over the past few weeks, I thought I'd pass this article along...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010320/sftu105.html

It describes Salon.com's plans to roll out the large rectangle ads like CNET (336 x 280), and offer an optional paid subscription service for users to view content offline and/or without advertising.

--Amanda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It certainly is a growing trend - CNET, ZDNet, Disney, internet.com and now Salon.

I came across a similar article yesterday noting that the desperate-to-stay-alive entertainment network Snowball would be reducing the quantity of the ads that show on their site, while increasing their size to match some of the new standards endorsed by IAB.

They will also be rolling out a new forced interstitial format that works much like a television ad, in that viewers are forced to see a few seconds of the advertiser's message before proceeding to an ad-free zone.

Very interesting. I can't wait until the ad networks start supporting some of these new formats.

Read the article here:
    http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/arti...717381,00.html
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, this continues on re my earlier post on paid content, almost on a daily basis im seeing sites shifting to paid content, fact is im about to add a paid ezine to my site, ill push it in two ways, first being as a quality ezine for those who like the site, and second , ill push it as a way of supporting the site, rather then adopt the approach of others who are looking for donations, i think ill try this approach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm starting to think these content sites are going to start entirely using paid subscription services - free content on the web will become more and more scarce, unfortunately. But, hey, if people will pay, it is a valid business plan. And they wouldn't have to worry as much about advertising rates.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think were going to see the big sites offer a 2 tiered approach, for free u can get the basic, advertisement loaded version, but if u pay a small fee , you can get the full, ad free site , probably sweeteneed with lots of giveaways, cash prizes , etc, fact is, i believe paid for content is the right way to go, after all, if web users are going to start using ad blocking softwear, then they only have themselves to blame