SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot Jason_Therrien's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy!

PV25 recently had a post asking people about having companies "sponsor" sites. I wanted to know if anyone has actually done this and have you been successful? Also, some examples would help.

Did they sponsor the entire site, or just a section of it?
    Thanks!

Jason
    www.SmartWebBusiness.com

Bruno Delepierre
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I know of sites who get real sponsoring like free webhosting or a free domain name in exchange for putting a banner. However in the thread I think they are mainly talking about paid banner advertising ( correct me if I'm wrong ). As they said just be creative and think of something that will attract your sponsors . Try something like product placement, or implement a page for the product.
    Last edited by Bruno Delepierre; Mar 20, 2001 at 13:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen a actual definition, but I believe it to be some sort of flat rate advertising. Your advertiser is shown or advertised as sponsoring what is being brought to your visitors.

It would be flat rate in the sense that the price is not reflective in the number of click-throughs they receive.
    So, it is somewhat a gamble for both sides--the sponsor may get more than they paid for in click throughs to their site, or may not get what they expected.

Hope that helps.

Jason
    www.SmartWebBusiness.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I meant by "sponsor" in my other post -- an entity that was willing to pay a flat fee to be listed as a "site sponsor".

I'm new to this stuff, so forgive me for the ambiguity. I guess its a branding thing, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sponsorships are already used to great success on some of the major niche-targeted sites, such as ClickZ, TheRegister, etc.

Smaller sites will have a hard time convincing companies to sponsor their content on an exclusive basis for the simple reason that sponsorship/branding is largely based on the association one makes between the sponsored site and the sponsor.

Elaborating based on the examples mentioned above...ClickZ is well-respected throughout the online marketing and web development community. As a result, when Engage, GoTo.com or CJ sponsor part of the site, they know that (whether consciously or subconsciously), the savvy publishers and advertisers who visit that resource will draw the conclusion that these companies are leaders in their field. TheRegister is a cutting-edge tech news resource. Their e-biz section is sponsored by Intel in an effort to have techies associate the brand with successful ebiz efforts.

If you site targets a narrow niche, has a loyal following, and is relatively well known, you have a far better chance of striking up a sponsorship deal than those that don't.
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >If you site targets a narrow niche, has a loyal following, and is relatively well known, you have a far better chance of striking up a sponsorship deal

I have a network of local/regional content sites that fit the above description very well. I have been using the sponsorship model on these sites (not the one in the profile) since 1995-96. These are all direct sales to small businesses. The pricing model is flat rate, but derived from CPM calculations behind the scene. There are no contracts, but this is really to provide me with the absolute maximum amount of flexibility to exercise editorial control over the site, change formats, etc. without having to worry about some legacy issue with an advertiser. If I have someone that doesn't pay, I just ban them and move on.

I do divide the site into sections to be sponsored. I use a combination of CentralAd and heavily modified/customized Gossamer Threads' Links 2 to manage them which is working out very well. As far as management goes, the ability to just add and centrally manage a sponsorship across related sections was crucial in order to provide the targeting and exposure required.
    Last edited by dbcooper; Mar 21, 2001 at 11:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could someone clue me into what CPM is?
    Thanks, I am somewhat new...

Jason
    www.SmartWebBusiness.com
    "What other type of Web Business would you run?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason, CPM is an abbreviation that has long been used in the traditional ad world. It stands for "cost per mille", with mille being Latin for 1000.

That is, CPM is a figure used to represent the cost of 1000 ads. Thus, when people say that a particular network offers them $1.50CPM, it means that they are paid $1.50 for every 1000 ads delivered.
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried the sponsorship route for my 5 yr old anime site claiming around 240,000 unique visitors monthly (From Webtrendslive).

I'm looking at charging cheap for sponsorship and most anime companies I approached would only sponsor if the price is below $100/month which is ridiculous for the size of my site.

Therefore, I've to resort to network advertisement program again. I've tried and tried but to no extent..guess either I'm a bad marketing guy or just that anime entertainment sites are not needed anymore these days.
    Anime-Genesis.com - Your Online Anime Entertainment Channel