SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a lot of references to "quality traffic" in these forums. I'd like to know how the members here define quality traffic. Obviously if your selling a product or service its a simple case of how many sales you make from any given referrer, but if your selling ad space its more complex.

As an online publisher you can track visitors through your site and see how many pages they view and exit on. This is fine for seeing how many of your advertisers impressions they are burning through. But if you want to know which URL's refer visitors most likely to click on a clients ad, its useless.

As a publisher my goals and that of my clients have to be closely aligned. I want visitors who are looking for my clients products. Ultimately we're both looking for the same thing. Visitors who click on ads.

so I guess my questions is:

How do you determine where a quality (ad clicking) visitor is referred from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use some kind of tracking script (like AXS) or a service. Then monitor it to see where the traffic is coming from.

Also, target your ads to those venues which attract the kind of visitor you want.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easier said than done. We've had to develop an in house solution which places a "success page" between our site and our advertisers site. This allows us to track a visitor from a URL and follwo them through our site until they exit. Unlike traditional products such as webtrends and hitbox, we're able to determine how they exited the site.

1. Closing their browser
    2. Via a search result
    3. Text Links
    4. Banners

This has allowed us to target our advertising to the point where over 40% of our traffic is now leaving via a customer funded route.

Payment Acceptance Expert jconley2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi James,

This is off topic, but was wondering something so I thought I'd ask ya.

I visited your site and found out that you get a load of traffic, my question is, how do you handle all the e-mail that comes in from having such a large influx of traffic? Do you have several others working for you that handle the e-mail support end of things?

Just wondering as down the road when the same happens to my site, which I'm determined will happen, what actions to take to handle an overwhelming amount of e-mail inquires.

It's always a good idea to plan ahead, hence the reason I asked.

Regards,

Jim Conley II
    CEO/Founder - MerchantSeek
    Search FREE for a Merchant Account Provider based on your business needs and budget. We're your one stop information source on payment acceptance. Visit us at http://www.merchantseek.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try some ticketing support system.

For example, CustHelp.com.
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by jconley2
    [B]Hi James,

how do you handle all the e-mail that comes in from having such a large influx of traffic? Do you have several others working for you that handle the e-mail support end of things?
    asked.
    [QUOTE]

Sorry I took so long in getting back to you on this, I've been out of the country for the last week and had problems getting online. To answer your question, we have eleven fulltime people working on the site. Three of which are responsible for e-mail queries etc.

Payment Acceptance Expert jconley2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh alright, I figured you probably had a few hired hands to take care of the e-mail.

Hope your trip went well!

Regards,

Jim Conley II
    CEO/Founder - MerchantSeek
    Search FREE for a Merchant Account Provider based on your business needs and budget. We're your one stop information source on payment acceptance. Visit us at http://www.merchantseek.com