SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Vbulletin Lite

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know of a site that has a running functioning copy of it that I could look at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt anyone has that running because it is so (purposely) stripped down on features. This is used more of as a test to see if vBulletin will work on your server. Go to the vBulletin forums at: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I did go to the forum and found one. Stripped down is what I want. It would work, but I'm still trying to figure out how to connect with MySql in the first place I'd like to put it. I'm still on a quest to find a truly user friendly, no registration message board, which still has a few features above and beyond a WWWboard. It's a funny thing..looking for message boards, I found a couple of remotely hosted ones that are perfect - but can't find perl scripts like them anywhere. Php is all nice, but I'm not at all sure I can figure out what to do about the database part. (I did try to take the tutorial here, but flunked downloading)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about databases... if your host has MySQL database capabilities, all you have to do is install vBulletin via web browser and it creates it for you. It's very simple, a five minute process, actually.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should check out phorum at phorum.org or phpbb.com both are completely free.

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by necrominator
    you should check out phorum at phorum.org or phpbb.com both are completely free.

This is so true. You can use phpBB, blazeboards, ikonboard, or Yabb. I know for a fact that phpBB and Blazeboards are both pretty nice. I personally use phpBB on my site and love it! It's all free of course, and easy to setup and administer. You can set up all your boards so no registration is needed...

www.phpBB.com to get the script.
    www.totalnonsense.com/forums to see what a customized version looks like.

Good luck!

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try www.phpBB.com to get the script for free.
    try www.totalnonsense.com/forums to check out a customized version in action.

I don't know much about php either, but it was much easier to install than the perl based ikonboards...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'm working on Discus at the moment - I know - it's not like one of these forums at all, but then I don't really need that for this particular site. Since that's working out I might learn enough to get one of the others going on the next site.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ye, php is a lot easier to install in 99% of cases that perl scripts, i remember last time i tried, what a mess.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here:

http://www.ifroggy.com/vbulletin

However, if your looking for something free: don't go this way!