SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey,
    i've read yank's tutorials about php and mysql, and i didn't understand much!.All i understood was that i create a table in my sql and i use php scripting to display it on the page !,
    i'm i wright ??
    i would also want to know how to create a table, and i understood that mysql was a program ?,
    where can i download it? , i mean the free version, just to test it out. How can images be put in a table, then display on a web page by php ????,
    can someone clear my mind please,i don't really understand the thing!

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MySQL is a database - you can access MySQL either via the comand line or a serverside language - PHP is most often used.

You can download MySQL from www.mysql.com and its free to download - the latest version includes a GUI for windows.
    Then take another look at the tutorials here and I would also recommend the begginners tutorials at http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey - in the backend/PHP section.

If you want to try PHP MySQL at home - you will also need a web-server - www.apache.com is the choice of many

And a shameless plug - PHP/MySQL/Apache - preconfigured & zipped for win 9* at http://www.firepages.com.au/phpdev.htm

But really you should go back through the tutorials and try to get an idea of what is going on before you start downloading too much stuff

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wanna learn some mySQL like how to create databases and get stuff out of them, I'd recommend
    http://www.sqlcourse.com
    They've got an online thingy that you can use to execute SQL queries, and see what happens. If u go there and do the course successfully, you should have a good understanding of mySQL.

... what's the world coming to?

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Koolbrian.

I've noticed that you've posted a few times in the php forum - so I see that you have some interest in php and mysql. I would like to be able to give you a couple of paragraphs of explaination that will have you up to speed with relational databases and ready to start cranking out database driven web content.

Unfortunately, I'm not eloquent enough to do that. Nor is it really possible. If you are new to php, or programming in general then you have to go through a lot of learning to be able to program effectively. The same goes for mySQL and relational databases in general.

You say that you've "read" Kevin's tutorials. But this alone is not going to get you anywhere.

Firstly, you need to download and set up an "experimental" web server environment on your pc which includes apache, php, mySQL (and I also recommend phpMyAdmin and Webmin). Kevin's tutorial actually provides instructions for getting mySQL installed (at least - he may also cover the other apps, I can't remember). It might take you ten minutes to get your environment all set up. Or you could run into some hurdles and it takes you a week. Whatever, Sitepoint members are willing to help you with specific technical problems.

Secondly, you need to work your way through these beginners tutorials - either Kevin's, or there are others at www.webmonkey.com , www.devshed.com and other places. A good book won't hurt. There's nothing like curling up in bed with a good programming book Programming is very labour intensive. It can't just be explained. Like any other craft you have to learn through experience. You need to invest the patience, dedication and time into learning php and mysql by working through these tutorials. At first these tutorials may be simplistic in that they don't provide concrete solutions to the grand scheme you have in mind for your future web empire. However, once you have the basics under your belt it becomes easier and easier to develop more complex scripts and understand and adapt other open source scripts to your needs.

Three years ago I remember staring at some JavaScript and wondering what on earth the curly braces "{}" could possibly mean! I couldn't understand a line of code outside of HTML tags. Since then I have studied three languages ( C++, Java and VB) and am now dabbling in PHP as well. (And I still don't know JavaScript - but I'm getting back to what started me off now). At first it all seamed just too daunting - especially as I am no spring chicken and wasn't born with a mouse in my hand like you youngsters. And I still can't program my VCR!

The bottom line is that you cannot just download mySQL and "test it out" like you might a game or a paint program. Just like you can't have a dabble at piloting an aircraft to see if its your cup of tea. There is nothing to test out - php works, mysql works (trust me I'm from another planet). You need to sit down and learn them. This will take some time - maybe a few months before you are able to do what it is you have in mind. What you need to "test out" is whether programming is for you.

There is a link to a list of all the online resources you could possibly want regarding php and mysql in my signature. Sitepoint members can give you guidence and specific technical help. Its up to you to learn.

Good luck!
    Last edited by freakysid; Mar 17, 2001 at 08:20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid
    You say that you've "read" Karl's tutorials. But this alone is not going to get you anywhere.
    Karl?

Yes, I agree - you know how I finally got MySQL data to display on a PHP page? I tore my hair out for a long, long time with some code on a WebMonkey tutorial, and then it worked.

I hate to sound like an arrogant punk, but Kevin's tutorial walks you through it step by step, and most of it is very easy to understand - if one step inparticular has you stuck, let us know what step that is and we'll try to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, i didn't read freakysid's reply, but firepages's reply is shaking my mind.

My Sql isn't free !
    You told me to download apache if i want to try mysql and php at home ?,
    but apache is a web server!!!!,
    what is it actually, i don't think i can download it without a matter of fact.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, MySQL is free Brian - so is PHP and Apache. I believe all three are open-source, but I am not positive.

http://www.apache.com
    http://www.mysql.com
    http://www.php.net

You can download and install all 3 using the instructions built in I believe - if you run into problems, post here as usual. And yes, you should be able to install Apache on your home computer, unless I am mistaken.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TWTCommish - thanks for picking me up on my slip. I've edited my post. Getting sleepy. Time for bed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Brian,

Glad to see ya on topic

First off let me start by saying that I am currently in the exact same boat as you.

I downloaded mySQL, PHP and Apache

I see you are wondering about the Apache. Well this is so you may test your site from your local machine. Yes it is webserver software but it allows me to play with this stuff without really needing a hosting service.

I am really just exploring Apache right now - .htaccess, SSI, security etc.

With all this said, you can download all these programs for free to work in windows as I have. I haven't set up PHP and mySQL yet, but if you are having problems understanding how to set up these programs I would suggest downloading the program(s) from firepages. These are already pre configured.

Again I want to part some more advice You are young take your time. Don't become burned out on trying to learn all this over night. I don't want to sound like I am preaching here

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=18737

There is an intresting point bright out by poil11 in that thread. I am by no means a pro programer myself. I think the key is to work on a project. Outline everything you want to do then gather and build with the tools you have. You don't have to know everything about PHP or mySQL to program your project. You just need to know the parts to get the job done.

I hope this helps

Late
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to read Kevin's tutorial about eight weeks, and it really boggled my mind... I gave it up. However, I had a site that I was constantly updating, and it was ALL hard code. I had to archive about ten major articles a day, add new ones, update links, etc. A MAJOR pain, and so, I got fed up one day, and decided I would read the tutorial.

What was difference was this time? I had a REAL project I was doing. Not just playing around. The tutorial really helped me, it was great! It's been about five weekends ago now, and I'v designed some, what I would call in my proud, byast opinion, very good programs, and a large CMS.

Find a project to work on, and read through the tutorial, mabey build the joke database, (I didn't). But get a goal, and go for it. You will learn stuff very fast if you have a good knowledge of HTML.
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys

There is always the possiblity that we are tryin to do part of two different things.

When I first started with mySql and php I downloaded the mysql program (not the php - i am on a win 98 and they wanted some money - 150 I think.) But I was trying to do these things and my server (host for a price) had everything I needed. All I really needed was to know how to access and use them.

Is that the case with either or are you running your own servers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey firepages, i've downloaded your stuff, i mean php, mysql, and apache, all in the same download .In the url you mentioned above. When i click on go.bat , here is what i get!

syntax error on line 50 of d:/unzipped/phpdev2/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
    ServerRoot must be a valid directory

what's the problem ?

Briango.bat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to hear that

Well if firepages doesn't get back to you right away you can drop him an e-mail here or at the site??? He seems to be around alot so I am sure he will see this.

I just downloaded each individual program. But I hear it can be a bear to get set up correctly.
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brian:

I hope this works, but no guarantees:
    Go to that file, and look at line 50. It should say something like
    ServerRoot C:/blah blah

Replace the C:/blah blah with the full path to the www directory in your installation folder, in your case (I think
    d:/unzipped/phpdev2/www
    (AFAIK, there are four folders in the install: apache,php,mysql,www).
    I don't remember if you need to add a trailing slash or not, but above the ServerRoot line there should be some info about it. REMEMBER TO REPLACE ALL BACKSLASHES WITH FRONT SLASHES (in that path)

As a general rule, you might want to go through the rest of httpd.conf and get familiar with it. I would suggest saving a backup of whatever you've got before making any changes though. You never know...

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, no wonder you're confuse...the URL to Apache is not www.apache.com, it's www.apache.org.

Apache.com takes you to a page that sells actual server machines, and I can see how one can get quite annoy when someone told you to download a computer. People don't get much sleep around here, so mistakes happens.

Apache.org is the place to download the webserver software. http://httpd.apache.org/dist/binaries/win32/

Anyway, Apache, PHP, and MySQL are all free and open source, and it's always a better idea to install them yourself rather than getting an all-in-one package, just so that you know how things work, and not many packages installs PHP as a module for you, installing PHP as module boosts the speed quite a bit.

Read this, it doesn't get much easier:
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...tw=programming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KoolBrian - you have unzipped to d:/unzipped/etc - the bundle needs to be unzipped to

c:/ for the pre-configured settings to work

then you would have c:/phpdev2/www - as your document_root and c:/phpdev/apache as your server_root

To change this open up phpdev2/apache/conf/httpd.conf and change everything that says c:/phpdev2/....etc to your new path - - do the same in php/php.ini

or you could judt extract to c:/ assuming you have one! - thats where its supposed to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Robo
    LOL, no wonder you're confuse...the URL to Apache is not www.apache.com, it's www.apache.org.

Apache.com takes you to a page that sells actual server machines, and I can see how one can get quite annoy when someone told you to download a computer. People don't get much sleep around here, so mistakes happens.

Apache.org is the place to download the webserver software. http://httpd.apache.org/dist/binaries/win32/

Anyway, Apache, PHP, and MySQL are all free and open source, and it's always a better idea to install them yourself rather than getting an all-in-one package, just so that you know how things work, and not many packages installs PHP as a module for you, installing PHP as module boosts the speed quite a bit.

Read this, it doesn't get much easier:
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...tw=programming
    HUH??? we were talking about installing the apache, php, mysql software from firepages. And I think he is using all this on windows??? In which case it will be alot easier on him to install as a cgi??? correct me if I am wrong!!! Firepages has this all set up in one DL. I do agree with you that it can be better to install all this yourself. And I would suggest he does that if he ever goes with a linux install. But for playing around and learning PHP, mySQl and Apache, I think the firepages download is a good idea for a test bed to design pages for the prime time. I don't think at this point that KoolBrian is planning on running a full time server from his own windows machine. He didn't even really seem to want Apache but we talked him into it for the webpage testbed.

Even webmonkey tells you to install PHP as a CGI when using windows. The ISAPI may not be ready for the prime time???

OIC now, sorry, yep you are correct it is apache.org and not apache.com like TWTCommish had posted. Please update your bookmarks

Hey firepages, Did you create the install of PHP as a cgi or as an Apache mod??? I don't totally know the differance yet for using it as a testbed for design. Just curious
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi CryingWolf, the bundle is a CGI ....

As a CGI there is no need to mess with any windows settings -so it will run as soon as it is unzipped, a Module would be faster - but the bundle is aimed at beginners - who like me had not a clue how to set up a web-server,and is really just to help get people started with PHP.

Once comfortable - its a good idea for people to play around with the configuration and find out how it all works - but at least they can learn PHP as well along the way.

Robo - it would be a better idea for us all to compile apache/PHP/mySQL etc from source on our gnomeless boxes - but then this would be a very small forum
    PHP is easy - even for total beginners - setting up apache/php on windows is however ,not that hard - but mind-boggling if you know nothing about them. Most users of the bundle just want a platform to save them from having to upload data each time they wish to run a simple script - thats what the bundle is for - no more , no less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vb wont let me delete this double post !!
    Last edited by firepages; Mar 19, 2001 at 08:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that makes sense. I would have downloaded you port but I was only curious about Apache at that time. I did dl both PHP & mySQL but have yet to install them. If I have problems then yeah I may still download your program

Only in the last few days have I come upon an idea of something to do with PHP & mySQL. To bad no one here will ever be able to see it. Unless ya work for Lucent???

There is a program in Lucent (made for installers of our switch) called willie tools. It only runs in win95 and dos The reason for that is that it is entirely written in batch files. Well I want to take all the info in these batch files and turn them into a database. Then use PHP as the interface to the database.

The batch files are just an interface to data that is stored in text files. The batch files guide you through a series of questions on the problem... IE what type of equipment? what phase? test? etc... Then it displays the text file for that equipment phase and test so you can determine what is going on and maybe come up with why it is failing.

In the end I would like to see it running in a webpage format. That way it can be uploaded to some of our internal support sites and used online.

The db maybe the hardest part but I think the way people are here it shouldn't be a problem
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its comma delimited or something, getting it into a db shouldn't reaaally be a problem. If its some odd format, and there's a lot of data, maybe you should write a script to convert it to an easier format, instead of doing it all by hand. (it could save you a little bit of time).

Still though, if you use PHP sessions to pass the wizard data, then you can probably just write a search (check out the searching thread .. there's a useful example in there), and it'll find the best data for the problems.

Sounds like a good idea though. Make it easier for everyone if all could know why "that goshdarned thingy" doesn't work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey firepages,
    i tried what you asked me to do , in vain. I changed all the server_root and document_root to the one you told me in the above thread.I changed it in the http.conf . Must i make other changes or just the server_root and the document_root ???. I changed the D/ and i put the phpdev in the C drive. When i start go.bat , here is what it says!

C:\phpdev2\apache>apache.exe
    Syntax error on line 50 of c:/phpdev2/apache/conf/http.conf :
    ServerRoot must be valid directory

What must i do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok - now the server root in your httpd.conf file should read c:/phpdev2/apache and your document root c:/phpdev2/www .... is that the case?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes it does
    check it out,
    in the httpd.conf file,

### Section 1: Global Environment

ServerType standalone

ServerName localhost

ServerRoot "c:/phpdev/apache"

PidFile logs/httpd.pid

ScoreBoardFile logs/apache_status

ResourceConfig conf/srm.conf
    AccessConfig conf/access.conf

Timeout 300

KeepAlive On

MaxKeepAliveRequests 100

KeepAliveTimeout 15

MaxRequestsPerChild 0

ThreadsPerChild 50

LoadModule anon_auth_module modules/ApacheModuleAuthAnon.dll
    LoadModule cern_meta_module modules/ApacheModuleCERNMeta.dll
    LoadModule digest_module modules/ApacheModuleDigest.dll
    LoadModule expires_module modules/ApacheModuleExpires.dll
    LoadModule headers_module modules/ApacheModuleHeaders.dll
    #LoadModule proxy_module modules/ApacheModuleProxy.dll
    LoadModule rewrite_module modules/ApacheModuleRewrite.dll
    LoadModule speling_module modules/ApacheModuleSpeling.dll
    LoadModule status_module modules/ApacheModuleStatus.dll
    LoadModule usertrack_module modules/ApacheModuleUserTrack.dll

### Section 2: 'Main' server configuration

Port 80

#ServerAdmin you@domain.com

#
    # DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
    # documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
    # symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
    #
    DocumentRoot "c:/phpdev2/www"
    and then, when i start the go.bat thing, here is what it says!

ServerRoot must be a valid directory
    or if you prefer, just email . i think u can by clicking at the email symbol on top of the reply, reply also!!

PLease help, i'm very impatient of starting php and mysql !!

BRian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have : ServerRoot "c:/phpdev/apache"
    and : DocumentRoot "c:/phpdev2/www"

should read

ServerRoot "c:/phpdev2/apache"
    DocumentRoot "c:/phpdev2/www"

if you have any further problems - just delete the whole phpdev2 folder and all its contents and extract the bundle again this time to

c:/

nothing more.