SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olympic website still not accessible

I did a quick check on this year's Olympics website www.athens2004.com assuming that they would have learnt from the 2000 Sydney debarcle (they were sued because their ticket booking system wasn't accessible). Imagine my amazement to discover that not only do they not validate as AA for a whole variety of reasons (unbelievably they are using absolute font sizes!!!) but they don't even have valid HTML or CSS! When I tried to click on a link to hotel accomodation in Athens using the Lynx viewer I got a nice error message telling me they could not support my browser.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the Olympics so it really is such a shame that they haven't made the effort to learn from their mistakes and create a website that is accessible to all.

What are other people's thoughts on this? Am I being too harsh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think it's a crappy looking website.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    holy guacamole on a stick...yes, the site is not completely inaccessible, but on the same token there's a lot that they could, nay should, have done a lot better.

a more logical structure of the markup. a few skip links to get past those lengthy menus. titles on all those "number links", which don't really mean anything out of context. lots of "more" links, same thing.

admittedly, the sheer volume of information they're trying to convey makes it difficult, but nonetheless.

the online accommodation bit is handled by a different company/site. yes, they should have known better, but AOC may get away with it because it's not strictly their own site.

i'm sure if i delved deeper into the site i would find a hell of a lot more things wrong with it, but what i've seen is enough. yes - disregarding the inaccessible accommodation link for a second - most of it seems "technically accessible", but that does not mean it's "real world" accessible. shame.
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the 2000 site being run by IBM, after the games were done so were they. Can't remember what company is doing the site now, but I think it would be pretty bad form for them to not know of the trouble the 2000 site had in the first place.