SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Text Only - Remove IMG tag toggle?

Hi all,

I am wanting to create a large dynamic web site with an accessible Text Only version.

Instead of creating additional pages for the text only version, is it possible to implement some regular expressions, which remove all the IMG tags from page.

I have found a useful tool at http://tantek.com/favelets/ which removes the CSS from the page but I also need to remove the images.

Are regular expressions the best means of doing this? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every browser that I'm aware of contains the ability to turn images on/off. You need not worry about that. The only thing you need to worry about is the alt='' text for the images, just turn images off in your browser and then read the page (with the alt='' text mixed in) and verify that it makes sense. If your page does make sense with images off then good job, otherwise you should work on your alt='' text some more until it does.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and obviously you'll need to do any regular expressions and switching image tags with their relative ALT attributes server-side, not via javascript...as otherwise, you're just defeating the whole (very unnecessary) purpose of the whole exercise.

and it's worth mentioning once again: text only does not mean accessible. a well crafted xhtml/css site (where content and presentation are clearly separated, and things like tables are not used for layout) is just as good as a "text only" version. and, your dynamic tool will not be able to do all sorts of other things required for accessibility, e.g. creating transcripts of audio/video files...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com