SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict Johana Solendhal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy God how I hate the W3c Validator

I am really trying hard to validate my web page without any sucess so far.

I am getting a bunch of errors that I am not being able to solve.

I already substituted all the ampersands ("&") to & and am still getting a validation error.

Can some kind soeul help me?

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...tomatically%29

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seen this in your source code...

Code:
    <a href="index.php?content=articlescommunities&nav=com">
    You have not substituted the & to &amp; in that link, and there are several links near that which need the same correction.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave up on validation long ago. No major site validates - why should yours? It's a good tool that has its place, but don't worry about making everything in your site validate.
    Last edited by gengar56; Aug 19, 2004 at 22:41.
    Google Chat Boards - unofficial Google discussion forum

SitePoint Wizard Pedro Monteiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megamanXplosion
    I seen this in your source code...

Code:
    <a href="index.php?content=articlescommunities&nav=com">
    You have not substituted the & to &amp; in that link, and there are several links near that which need the same correction.
    Don't use Dreamweaver to edit your page, usually ends up reformating your characters.

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't use HTML entities (&amp in link URLs. The links probably wouldn't work if you did so.
    URLs do use HTML entities, and they do work once you've done the change.

I gave up on validation long ago. No major site validates - why should yours? It's a good tool that has its place, but don't worry about making everything in your site validate.
    50,000,000 smokers can't be wrong. Seriously though, it's a quality assurance test and it's a great debugging tool. A lot of the design problems that people ask for help have HTML and CSS errors in their source code and upon fixing it their problems went away. Not to mention that Internet Explorer is years behind and the more sites out there which validate shows the IE-developers that the standards are important and should be followed. Once standards are being followed correctly, we can expect things like faster download times, expected rendering behaviours across all browsers so you only need to test in one. When a browser encounters a page with errors in it, it makes a small delay to "guess" what the other wanted, and that slows down the rendering process, by fixing all of the errors then there is no reason for a browser to guess. Standards are incredibly important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just noticed you have an align on your div, in XHTML STRICT 1.0 thats not allowed.. try aligning it with margins in your css

I would also simplify all those params you throw at the location bar.. seriously haveing url's longer than 150 chars really annoys me, you try and paste them in irc and you start flooding the channel. just an idea