SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently set up a site, LoadSwap.com

It's fairly large, and since it requires that a person go through an agreement page before being able to enter the site, I, being a amature at PHP and scared by sessions, used cookies.

PHP Code:
    setcookie(); 
    This was well and good, untill I found out that my IE5 browser on win98 was not accepting the cookies.. in fact it didn't even know that it was being told to set a cookie. This, was of course with cookies inabled. I then set it to prompt me whenever a cookie was to be set. I went to several sites, and, of course it ask me to set a cookie... however, my site was not setting them right.

Now, keep in mind that this cookie was using ALL of the proper variables in the setcookie() command.

I thought that mabey this was just a fluke... my machice was acting funny. So I went ahead, and went live with LoadSwap.com

I soon got several complaints about people that hit the agree button, and yet STILL could not get anywhere.. always sent back... but at the same time I've had 18 thousand people through it in about 5 days... what gives? Everyone else can get on except a handfull... so I went to my schools computer lab and found a machine that still had NS3 and IE2 on it I'm the computer tech at my private school... so I didn't have a problem hooking it up to a internet connection.

I went to LoadSwap and wuala! I got on just fine in NS3, and IE2... ok.. then their Security setting are botched! Not so, everyone of the people who sent me complaintes had cookies enabled.

So, last night I went through and converted everything to sessions. It's working on the machine in the shop now as well as all the others who couldn't get on!

Just a little thought for the day...

God Bless

Alex Stanton
    Webmaster
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi alex

has anything else come up on this information?

peace

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope... still had the same problems on a test i put up. Don't know why... sitepointforums set cookies, hotmail... others... but setcookie() didn't.. sessions did work though...
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

just found this in the forum http://www.sitepointforum.com/showth...819#post130819

might this be a part of the problem?

peace