SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does the form fields change color?

Does anyone know why some of the form fields on this page ( http://www.quinoagrain.com/contact.html ) have a yellow background in internet explorer.

I keep seeing this on different websites ( some form fields have a yellow background ).

I have looked at the code and it seems fine.
    Perhaps my internet explorer has the problem? It looks fine in aol, can anyone else see the yellow background in some of the form feilds?
    Add your web design / hosting companies to my directory - Web Hosting Directory
    Want to join our panel of experts? - Hosting Forums ( top right of forums -expert drop down box for more info ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've checked it under IE 6, 5.5 and 5 and can't see what you're talking about. All looks fine.

Don't suppose you're drunk or anything?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it's being caused by the google toolbar. See
    http://www.htmldog.com/ptg/archives/000017.php

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atleast i am not going crazy...

Are the people at google loosing the plot? The stupid highlight fields ruins a professional looking design.

I am surpised knowone has sued them over this, technically this could be viewed as damaging other peoples reputations.

If i did not know it was the google tool bar and went to a site and saw ramdom form fields in bright yellow, i would consider them not professional and it might make the difference between doing business with them and not doing business.

How many other people think like this?
    Want to join our panel of experts? - Hosting Forums ( top right of forums -expert drop down box for more info ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimNiceButDim
    I am surpised knowone has sued them over this
    Woah, steady on there tiger
    Well, at least we know what it is now and how to get around it.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it is surprising that google would do something like this because it could have serious implications.

Imagine you did not know what was causing it like myself and spend hours and days looking through your code only to discover the whole thing was a waste of time.

Luckily I found a javascript work around for this over at - http://code.jenseng.com/google/ .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's true. The ironic part of all this is I used google to find the article to tell me google was the cause of your woes!
    I agree though. It's still good for accessibility but it should be turned off by default.

BTW You can get around it another way too. Just don't use the field names that it's looking for.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It highlights the fields that the Google Toolbar has data for so that the person can insert that data with the click of a button.

No one really cares about the color of your form fields.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really care that it does it, I'm just glad I found this thread because it was making us crazy trying to figure out why the heck it was doing it on my machine but not his when we were both working on this chunk of code and testing back and forth........

Thanks!