User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google IPO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google IPO

The SEC just minutes ago confirmed Googles IPO registration. Trading could begin tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be interesting to see how the price changes in the coming weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The price has already changed. It will probably open way below what they had hoped for. Some experts are predicting around $76 per share.

Investor confidence was shaken because the "Google Guys" wouldn't or couldn't give any information about how or where the money will be used.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're worth $60-$80 in my books. IPO at $85 is a bit more practicle than $135, but I still think it'll drop after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in, and I think it will go up when it trades.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the cheapest place to go to if I only want to buy Google shares, and never do any other trading?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    What's the cheapest place to go to if I only want to buy Google shares, and never do any other trading?
    Probably www.etrade.com Here's a link of interest https://us.etrade.com/e/t/applogic/IPOCenter?SC=NPNY2D4

It will probably take a few days to get an account active.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not recommend buying Google at all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic2K2
    I would not recommend buying Google at all!
    Why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll tank. Simple as that.

They show up on Yahoo at $85 right now, I wonder when trading'll begin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to get some reasoning behind people's opinions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trading should start 11:30AM EDT. But I also read that it would start at 10:00 EDT on Yahoo! and that never happened.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Because its expensive, and its not going to sky rocket. It will more then like go down. Most likely it will go down 60 within this week.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost every large financial house is saying to approach Google with caution. This in turn has gotten large investors spending their money elsewhere.

Google's owners have treated the entire process like a circus which doesn't look good to other investors who will think they run the company with the same approach.

The stock hasn't even started selling and it has been devalued twice already. The first time was before the auction when they lowered the low price to $108 from $150. Then yesterday when no one seemed to have the desire to drive the price higher in the auction. When it starts selling at $85.00, it has already seen a decrease of almost 50% before the IPO. Who wants to buy that?

Finally, there are some improprieties being looked into such as the publishing of an interview during a quiet period, the refusal to settle patent disputes until it threatens to derail the IPO, the issuing of non-qualified or declared shares immediately before the IPO.

All Google is doing is showing the Investment market that Tech really isn't mature enough to be taken seriously. They are not a renaissance of Tech stocks they are hurting Tech stocks.

Sure people will invest in Google's IPO and Google will make money from it. Better be ready to short sell or wait long term so it splits enough times so you can make your money back eventually.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I did not get all of the shares that I bid for {over the $85 price} This means that the allotment was decreased to let other people in.

An argument can be made for it going up or going down. Obviously, I think it will go up because I invested on it. We will know in a couple of hours who is right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11:30 That's in 5 minutes.. hmm..

Really though, what would drive it up?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your average IPO debuts at $10-$30 and the price raises from there. Google is trying to lock in the high price.

You are right that the allotments have changed but not to let more people in. Employees are being urged not to sell at the lower $85.00 valuation and keep their stocks. This means there are now 6.1 million less shares available. This is also the only way they can try and get the prices they want and force their inflated market capitalization.

If you really want a tech stock, go with Microsoft. They have better profits and are getting ready to release the largest single dividend ever, $60 billion dollars. More than twice Google's Market Cap at the $85/share price.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Luke
    Almost every large financial house is saying to approach Google with caution. This in turn has gotten large investors spending their money elsewhere.
    I think it's a control issue. The traditional bankers are used to being in control of IPO pricing. When you take away the control they turn off because it's a risk to THEM.

Google's owners have treated the entire process like a circus which doesn't look good to other investors who will think they run the company with the same approach.
    Circus may be a strong word. They tried something non-traditional. In theory it should work because an auction should allow the market to value the company. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. They don't know how Wall Street works. They tried to play when they didn't know the "rules".

The stock hasn't even started selling and it has been devalued twice already. The first time was before the auction when they lowered the low price to $108 from $150. Then yesterday when no one seemed to have the desire to drive the price higher in the auction. When it starts selling at $85.00, it has already seen a decrease of almost 50% before the IPO. Who wants to buy that?
    Someone who knows that to make money you buy on bad news?

Finally, there are some improprieties being looked into such as the publishing of an interview during a quiet period, the refusal to settle patent disputes until it threatens to derail the IPO, the issuing of non-qualified or declared shares immediately before the IPO.
    Yea, not the smoothest of moves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Crazy. $100?!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no doubt that they will make money on the initial offering. Even I don't doubt that. I, personally, don't think it is sustainable at the prices they are getting and it will decline over time. This is what leads to losing money.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I wouldn't buy any individual stocks. The only individual stocks we have ever owned have been from stock options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys:

You were not taking into consideration that the market is guided by perception and not only fundamentals. That there was a lot of demand that was not met with the IPO {non-US}, that not all the demand was satisfied with the IPO {some bidders like myself only got 73% of the shares we wanted at $85}.

I can only thank Google for allowing this opportunity to own a piece of the company.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering the number of people who said they'd buy in this thread (http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136131) I think it's funny how many people didn't buy. The public is just now being let in on how Google is run which is basically "ego". To quote Playboy, the "Do no evil" bit is basically defined by Sergei on any given day as whatever he feels "evil" is that day.

Doesn't really sound like a company with a lot of checks and balances in terms of it's direction.

The handling of GMail and Orkut, not to mention the illegal selling of shares and treating smaller investors (and large investors) as expendable doesn't bode well for Google, unless of course the leadership matures or gets told how to stay quiet.

I mean, congrats to the employees and owners. And good luck to the investors, but Google definitely needs to grow up if it's going to be a major public company.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard that Google is actually going to be releasing more stocks after the IPO. It is kinda like one of those deodorants that are time-released. With the issuance of more stock, the price is sure to drop! Plus, Google isn't a good long term bet because MSN will be dominating the search market after 2006. Google employees who are getting all this rich stock can sell after like 60 days, which surely a lot of them will do. It's got disaster written all over it! The company is spreading itself too thin, in addition to all those financial problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeremy: Their top management does seem to think that they can do no wrong. I think that the way that they handled the IPO shows that they still need to learn a bit. Having said that, I think is a great company and a good investment at $85.

I am happy even if the price drops back to $85.