User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accessibility Compliant CMS

Hi Folks

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a simple CMS that can output W3C compliant code and uses style sheets rather than tables?

If there isnt one around I am in a pickle.. I have been offered a job designing a website for a disabled peoples group and they want a CMS.
    It will be a bit ironic if a site targeted at disabled users isnt up to the standards....

If at all possible PHP and mySql are the two favoured platforms.

I am willing to pay for the software..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xaraya is pretty good, it can get you most (if not all) of the way to AA WAI, uses CSS for everything and (mostly) outputs valid XHTML. Still pre version 1.0 but pretty stable/feature-rich. PHP & MySQL required.

Good luck.

Nath

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CMS Matrix is a great site for comparing CMSs.

My favourite CMS is Mambo but unfortunately it's not that easy to add accessibility features, as far as I've found. Actually I have only experimented to any great extent with xMambo as I've only designed with xhtml for some time now. And because I feel the same as you, I've been reluctant to use it on a production site.

However, depending on the features you need in a CMS, I have installed and played (though not made a production site) with EZ Publish and Typo3. Both are full-featured and great CMSs. If you do a comparison of these two on the CMS Matrix site, you'll see that EZ Publish is said to be WAI Compliant, and Typo3 is said to have a free add-on.

Now, I haven't tried yet to implement accessibility features - still finding my way around the software - but I think they're well worth looking into.

HTH,

mate. :-)