SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Searchfuel is probably the best search program now that searchtraffic is 2:nd page click. There is really just one problem with them:

Their search results are absolutely totally horrible, insulting and useless. Several of the keyword that I previously used with great sucess returns an EMPTY QUERY. What kind of search engine returns an empty query nowadays??? It's absurd! Why not use some kind of REAL search engine for non-paid results, like google or something. I had to remove the search box, since it was totally useless to my visitors.

What are your experiences?
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For obscure terms, the results are pretty abyssmal. Still, if you prefill popular terms (email SF for confirmation on the ability to prefill before taking the box public), or use popular text links, the results are as good as those found anywhere else.

IMHO, since ST's change of terms, AdSearches.com has become the clear market leader in terms of payouts. You may want to give them a try...
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does adsearches.com deliver good results to the searches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, that's one of the disadvantages of using AdSearches. Their search results, while related, are displayed on an ad-soaked page, and accompanied by both a popup ad and an exit console.

If you want results that integrate well with your site, and that won't cause any irritation, go with SearchFuel. If, on the other hand, your focus is on revenue and you are not interested in integrating the results within your own design, AdSearches is your best option.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you think about search123?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, very good. Their affiliate program is called SearchReferral, and pays 3 cents/click on low-bidded terms or 50% of the second page bid for high-bidded terms. Thus, if someone searched for "Computer" and clicked on one of the top 2 results, you would make 7 cents for the search.

Their results are of a high quality, in comparison to some of the meta-search programs, and the SearchReferral admin are relatively flexible in allowing custom searchboxes and link directories as long as you email them for approval in advance.

The biggest problem with the program: They're not accepting new members at present, so you may have to wait it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will talk about search123.com from my experiences in paying for listings with them.

They offer a great service and ranking prices are quite low at the moment because they are not so well known. The major problem I have with them is that not many people use them to search. I have been a member with them for over a month now and my account balance has only dropped to $22 from $25. Sure I have 0.01c bids on most of key words, but that's all I need to get top placement in a lot of them at the moment!

This makes me wonder why they are not accepting any more sites into their search box program. Surely they would get more people searching with them if they did!

It would be great to see search123.com allow other search engines which utilize results from pay per click engines to partner with them. That way the number of people searching on the service would increase.
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wilmot, how many keywords are you bidding on?
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am bidding on around 40 keywords.

I found I get the best results from bidding on the keywords which are listed on their main page such as "Web Design". This has been my best performing keyword.
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wilmot, this is a bit of a catch-22 situation for Search123. Yes, if they reopened their affiliate program, they would drive several more visitors to their engine, but their bandwidth and affiliate payments would also increase.

I get the feeling that they, like SearchBucks which is fostered by the same incubation firm, are still burning through cash, and considering how to best turn a profit.

Since most of their keywords feature low-bids, simply upping their affiliate program could be problematic to their quest for profit.

I'm confident that they will, though, see an influx of new advertisers come September - when GoTo's $20/month and 5 cent/click minimum comes into effect. If they wait it out until then, they should see a more even spread of bids throughout their site, and should be able to reopen SearchReferral.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think about it, its the same catch-22 situation for all dot comes. increase advertising, make more money ....
    by the way awesome book, my favorite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Czar:
    I see what you mean regarding re-opening the affiliate program straight away. Good point. However, it would be good, as I suggested earlier, if they could partner with some other search engines to provide search123.com's results in their results. That way us sites paying for listings would receive more traffic, making us more likely to continue buying listings. I am sure if this continued, more people would sign up, increasing the average bid and hopefully making the service profitable enough for them to re-open the search box program which will again increase the traffic for sites listing with them. Of course this is the ideal situation, and things may not pan out like this .

I guess this catch-22 situation we are talking about is one of the reasons goto.com has introduced the minimum bid amount. However, I though their service was popular enough so most bids were above that anyway. I guess there are other motives behind this change.

As you said, this will be great for the other pay-per-click search engines.

necrominator:
    Which book were you referring to?
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GoTo introduced their new minimum bid rules to cut down on overheads. What seperates them from the other pay-for-placement engines is that they are very strict about which sites are allowed to use which search terms. As a result, all bids (from those for 1 cent on an obscure term that may earn the engine 20c/month to those for $1 on a popular term that may bring in $450/month), go through a time-consuming approval process.

Although it seems harsh, the truth is that GoTo cannot only afford to lose smaller advertisers, but their profit margins (which are losses presently) will actually increase when they do so.

BTW, necrominator is talking about the fiction novel "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...currently I'm using Search123/SearchReferral myself for my search box and have had very good luck with them to date. I won't be able to retire soonbut I more than pay for the hosting on my sites. They allow perhaps the most customization for a PPC search engine <from an affiliates point of view> that I have ever seen. They are currently in the process of making contractual adjustments with those webmasters that are performing below expectations so they can re-open their program...so stay tuned!

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just signed up for searchfuel, reading this thread certenly made desiding a lot easier, thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

I have been using search123 and searchfuel for months (weeks for searchfuel) now.

I've been delivering around 3.000 daily searches to search123 during 2 months when they decided to switch my account to another payment plan : I'm paid 50% of any bidded terms that is clicked (second page
    clickthrough). No more $0,03.
    The reason was that my traffic was not good enough for them.
    As a result my search123 revenues have decreased by 90% !!!
    They are a good company I recommend them if you can provide good value traffic to them.

I have now replaced them with searchfuel and I deliver around 1200 daily searches but at $0,05.
    It's a second page clickthrough but you can very easily make the search results page look like the rest of your site. This increases a lot the CTR on second page.
    To be successfull, you should select your keywords carefully so that they bring lots of search results.
    Very nice prog that I recommend also.
    www.aliassoftware.com : a great search and replace program to maintain/updates all your sites pages, ads codes, search boxes ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gallery,

...just curious...
    was that 3000 paid daily <12 hour unique> searches with Search123 < which would equal about $90.00 a day>
    and is it currently 1200 paid unique daily searches with SearchFuel <which would equal about $60.00 a day>
    or is that the gross number of searches...both paid and unpaid <non-unique searches within 12 hour period>

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    read it and weep...
    =======================
    Hello SearchFuel Affiliate,

Due to the loss of a significant search partner, we regret to inform you that we will be forced to discontinue the SearchFuel Affiliate Program effective immediately. Please remove all links associated with SearchFuel from your site as soon as possible. We will only be crediting accounts for
    traffic received up to March 22, 2001. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused, and wish you all the best of luck!

Sincerely,

The SearchFuel Team

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no way i signed up and it still workds for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it looks as though GoTo.com are no longer supporting any reseller-based partners.

Oh well, SearchTraffic, AdSearches and GoTo's affiliate program remain solid choices.