SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just realized that renaming php.ini-dist from the download to php.ini and keeping it under the php directory produces the same results as moving php.ini-dist under the Windows directory and renaming it to php.ini .

What's the purpose of moving php.ini-dist under the Windows directory and remaning it php.ini ?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On some machines (but not many) this will be required to make it work.
    I actually just keep all php files in my winnt directory (php.exe, php dll's etc). I don't see the need to stick them anywhere else as they are used by Windows and I never want to see them after I've installed them.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I was informed you have to move the files to the windows directory only if you are installing php as a module. If you install as cgi, like most people do, php looks in its folders first for the required files, before looking in the windows directory. I did not move my files into the windows directory and php works fine. It is hard to believe that since 99.9% of the people install as cgi that all the tutorials and all the install directions say you have to move those files. Ridiculous!

I just installed the latest versions of php/apache on win98 and I found some of the installation directions in php.ini and httpd.conf are flat out wrong. I think that shows a lack of professionalism with those software orginizations. Why is it necessary to cause so many people to waste so many hours on istallation when it really should be an easy process on a common OS like win98.
    Last edited by 7stud; Mar 29, 2001 at 01:04.