SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to learn php+mysql and implement thm on several new sites I have planned for the next year or so. I have worked through the tutorials on this site and am wondering what is a good book for a begginer like me.

I have little/no exerpience in php or mysql so something that assumes little or no knowledge of either would be great.

What book would people reccomend?

thanks

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mike

I am new to php and mysql . After the tutorial and some time in the forums, my site is completly built on these.

Beginning PHP4 by wrox is a good book. (Kevin is listed in the technical review credits)
    MySQL by Paul duBois is my favorite book on db.

peace

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through the long tutorial by Kevin Yank on WebMasterBase.com which gives an excellent grouding in the language.
    Then bought Professional PHP Programming from Wrox Press.
    Hope that helps

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I 've heard a lot of good things about the wrox press book. Does it cover the basics in mysql as well?

Would I be correct in thinking that when building a site in php/mysql - the focus in largly on php opposed to the mysql side of things.

Assuming I can only afford 1 book. Would I be best of getting the wrox php4 book and looking for the mysql info as and when I need it on the net?

thanks

Mike

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'd say that's a good idea. A good place to start mysql is
    http://www.sqlcourse.com
    When you've completed that, go on to:
    http://www.sqlcourse2.com

As for books, my personal PHP favorite is Core PHP Programming by Leon Atkinson (Prentice Hall).
    The first few chapters teach you the general concepts of PHP (variables, operators, control structures, functions, objects, etc.).

Then there is a great functional reference (which you will continue to use even when you are a well-seasoned php developer). It has code examples for almost every function, along with what they'll output. Some of these are actually full blown applications.
    It also has a bunch of extra functions described like special Apache things, XML, etc.

After that there is a section on algorithms, which includes details on regular expressions, sorting, math stuff, etc.

And the final section has more information about how to combine all the stuff you've learned into real programs (the part is called "Software Engineering"). It gives you help on everything from debugging to measuring performance, to getting data out of databases and displaying them in different ways.

It also comes with a CD that has every single code example of the book in it.

All in all, I'd say a good PHP book (Core PHP is great, and I haven't read the other one but people say its good), along with some SQL tutorials and you'll be fine.

Although it may seem obvious, I'll say it anyway: to great places to look for info on PHP and mySQL are their respective websites. These are especially helpful once you've got a good grasp on things, but you don't remember precisely how to phrase this SQL query, or which order the arguments to that function go in.

I wish you luck, 'cause its only a few months ago that I started out precisely as you are doing now. Take hope from that though: PHP is a really fast, easy language to learn, and if you work at it, you should be able to do great stuff in no time!

Good Luck!

... what's the world coming to?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again to all that have helped!

After listening here and reading many reviews on amazon.com I decided to go for the "Begining PHP4" - on the whole it seems to be highly recomended and I havn't heard any major complaints at all.

It also seems to include a few chapters specifically or MySQL and although that has been seen as an oversight by the aurthors (neglecting oracle etc) it suite me great as I'll be using mysql

anyway... should arrive in a week or two!

Thanks

Mike