SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any other great php sites like phppatterns?

First off Harry, gotta give you props for a well done site that has helped me grow my php skills by leaps and bounds.

Anyway, I've read through most of the site, and I'm looking for more. Are there any other sites out there committed to advanced php topics with tutorials and examples updated on a regular basis?

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://www.phpclasses.org/ is pretty useful.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try http://www.lastcraft.com for an introduction to unit testing.

Perhaps you are already testing - if not I strongly recommend you start as soon as possible. It'll change your life.

I've just spent all night building a system to fix bad user input in csv files (lots of strings to split, fields to remap, filters to apply). With tests, I had very little debugging to do - saves a lot of time.

Also, the tests provide documentation of class behaviours if I have to use the code again in future and have forgotten how it all works.

SitePoint Enthusiast Stryderjzw's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Sitepoint forums is a great place, but I think you already found your way here.

Anyways, my question is... Are there any sitepoint-like sites out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you check out http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78687 (collection of useful links by HarryF)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP Classes has got to be the most annoying site filled with garbage ads and popups. I won't go back to that site just because of that one reason:::regardless of how great their scripts can be.

That's a good way to lose a visitor. :\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polvero
    PHP Classes has got to be the most annoying site filled with garbage ads and popups. I won't go back to that site just because of that one reason:::regardless of how great their scripts can be.

I agree!!! everytime I go there, my visual input is harassed by all the blinking as banners and the forced ad views, not to mention their color scheme and visual design reminds me of horrid 1997 web pages.

The reason I need more, I guess I could say, is that I feel stuck a bit. I'm a college graduate who got thrust into a php programming job where I'm the ONLY programmer there. Like a web designer using tables, I feel like I'm a programmer who's not doing things "right" because he has no experts looking over his shoulder. My problem with object orientation, despite my love for it, is when is it overkill? When are you doing too little too much?

I have a vision to develop enterprise level applications, I'm just unsure of myself at times I guess. I'm kind of looking for articles that give me a simple groundwork, and moves up from there.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend www.planetphp.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    planetphp.net eh?
    looks like a cyber squatter got a hold of that one...

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficeOfTheLaw
    I have a vision to develop enterprise level applications, I'm just unsure of myself at times I guess. I'm kind of looking for articles that give me a simple groundwork, and moves up from there.
    I know you asked for sites, so this is kind of off topic, but a php|architect subscription would probably be of benefit to you. Try their free issue by registering and see if it interests you. I have written several articles for them, and find it to be an overall high quality publication.

HTH

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is often a misunderstood subject. Maintaining and developing this site has continuous costs that are not trivial. Advertising was a way that was found to make it viable to keep this site open, covering its costs and justifying to keep developing it.

Without advertising this site would already been shut down a long time ago. Maintaining this site can no longer be done as a hobby. It takes at least full time of one person that happens to be me. Since dedicating full time to this site prevents me from taking any other job, maintaining this site has to be done on a professional basis like any other full time job.

For those that do not like advertising, the alternative is to pay for having access. This is planned for the future when users will have the option to pay a small monthly fee to benefit from a package of valuable services, including, but not limited to, accessing the site without advertising.

Nobody will be forced to adhere to the paid subscription, but at least users will have an option to access the site completely without ads.

For those that can't adhere to the paid subscription either because they are too poor, or because they think that everything on the Internet should be free, or for whatever reasons they may have for not wanting to pay to benefit from the subscription services, accessing the site with the usual ads is actually an affordable way to benefit from its resources without compromising the viability to keep the site open.

Advertising is not an ideal way to sustain this site. Ads slow down the loading of the pages, annoy some people and still do not provide a stable source of revenue.

Still, this site is not managed on the base of greed. As much as displaying ads are what make keeps this site alive, the users still have an option to access the site without more intrusive ads such as popunders and interstitials. All they need to do is to go on the user options page and uncheck the option that says accept pop type advertising banners.

Of course I am not encouraging anybody to uncheck this option. As a matter of fact, I ask people that understand and agree that it is important to keep this site open and viable, to not uncheck this option at all.

The truth is that those are the ads that pay more. Although the site could live without the people that uncheck this option ads, the additional revenue that they could make would help me hiring additional staff so I could dedicate more time implementing more new features that have been requested.

While hiring additional staff is not viable, these and other features have to be implemented very slowly, often giving priority to features less important to the users but more important to increase revenue. This is why you see more ad spaces being used.

I wish this could be different but I hope now you understand why the things are the way they are.
    Manuel Lemos

Metastorage - Data object relational mapping layer generator
    PHP Classes - Free ready to use OOP components in PHP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    constant popups is a poor way of advertising.
    Look at the way sitepoint has things set up.
    They have sponsors for each forum section, they put links in key places...text ads that you might actually want to click.

I TOTALLY understand the need for advertising. But there are successful ways to make money, and very poor ways like the way they have it set up.
    there's nothing worse than knowing you're entering into a site where you are bombarded with ads everywhere.
    That's the fastest way to lose any visitor.
    Sitepoint does this very successfully, and I never feel like I'm being fed ads.

They might have some great scripts and programmers over there. but they have a poor marketing staff.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    constant popups is a poor way of advertising.
    Look at the way sitepoint has things set up.
    They have sponsors for each forum section, they put links in key places...text ads that you might actually want to click.
    I am afraid you are not very well informed. There are no popups in the PHP Classes site. What appears with very low frequence are popunders. Popunders are windows that open behind your browser window. This is what Sitepoint also shows, except that on the PHP Classes site no popunders are shown to non-logged users and logged users have the option to disable them.

I TOTALLY understand the need for advertising. But there are successful ways to make money, and very poor ways like the way they have it set up.
    there's nothing worse than knowing you're entering into a site where you are bombarded with ads everywhere.
    That's the fastest way to lose any visitor.
    Sitepoint does this very successfully, and I never feel like I'm being fed ads.

They might have some great scripts and programmers over there. but they have a poor marketing staff.
    I don't know why I still bother to reply to complaints of people that do not make an effort to realize that without the advertising in the site it would not be viable.

I get the impression that these people that come with the blackmail tone of "if the site does not take the ads off I will not visit it" are just scrooge and nobody can make a living of the services from which they benefit without paying a cent. Since this is not a reasonable demand, there is nothing that can be done for scrooge people.
    Manuel Lemos

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visit your site every now and again, and I see all those adverts, but it doesn't really bother me

What bothers me though, is pop ups, especially those damn FlashMX which are down right annoying, Yahoo has a habit of using them to promote a new box office smash for example

Sure you need to make some revenue to continue your site, and if adverts is a part of that revenue then so what ?

If your thinking of paid subscription, in an event to reduce the amount of adverts, or remove them all together, then those people who are complaining should pay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll offer a reputation point for the first person to get this back on topic.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suprised actually, that no one has suggested WACT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not php related (more like language agnostic), but definitly advanced pattern related:
    http://www.c2.com/ Portland Pattern Repository's Wiki

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlemos
    There are no popups in the PHP Classes site. What appears with very low frequence are popunders.
    I understand your need for revenue completely. You gotta eat!
    But popups and popunders are quite a problem. Could you just make a section on the page dedicated to ads? Like a right side column maybe 20% width of the page - on every page?

Regards,
    Eli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    popunders are just as annoying as popups.
    sitepoint at least offers the an option of getting cookied to "not show this ad again" which is nice.
    i am not scrooge, but thanks for replying. i can sense a tone in your writing that you have some kind of connection with phpclasses and you're trying your best to back them up. take my advise as constructive crticism and not a low blow to your site's marketing plan. it's a poor way of making money.
    I need to make money too with my site's by there are far better ways than slapping 5 banner ads on one page *yikes*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigh.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy_yogi
    But popups and popunders are quite a problem.
    That is why there is an option that you can change in the user options page to let you disable them if you really find popunders unbearable.

Pop unders should not be as disturbing as people claim. They only show once a day and appear behind the user browser. So the users only get to see them after they close the browser window.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy_yogi
    Could you just make a section on the page dedicated to ads? Like a right side column maybe 20% width of the page - on every page?
    It is not like I always have a choice. Most of the ads are placed by ad agencies. These agencies require that each type of ad be placed in a specific region of the pages. That is where these ads a more efficient. In some cases, if the ads are not efficient in your site, chances are the the advertisers do not renew their campaigns, so you end up loosing more than whatever you could gain changing the place of the ads.
    Manuel Lemos

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    popunders are just as annoying as popups.
    I don't agree. Maybe you really not aware of how popunder works.

Anyway, for people like yourself that keep b*tching about ads (often tolerating without complaining 10 minutes of ads on TV which are 1000 times more annoying IMHO), as I mentioned, there is the option that you can change in the user options page to disable those ads.

sitepoint at least offers the an option of getting cookied to "not show this ad again" which is nice.
    Sitepoint does that on self-serving ads, i.e. ads that they serve to advertise their own content or poroducts. The PHP Classes site does not place popunder self serving ads. The popunders are placed by ad agencies that put ads in publisher sites like the PHP Classes site on behalf of the advertisers that pay for that. So, its beyond the control of the PHP Classes site to provide such kind of control to the users are the site can't change the ad creatives.

i am not scrooge, but thanks for replying. i can sense a tone in your writing that you have some kind of connection with phpclasses and you're trying your best to back them up.
    Ermmm... I am the developer of the site and the only person behind it.

take my advise as constructive crticism and not a low blow to your site's marketing plan. it's a poor way of making money.
    I need to make money too with my site's by there are far better ways than slapping 5 banner ads on one page *yikes*
    I don't know your site. Now that you brought up the problem and also have a site that you want to make money from, maybe you would like to share a better plan to realistically make money from ads.
    Manuel Lemos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, for people like yourself that keep b*tching about ads
    aparently you thought i was b*tching...i was only offering to help.
    i'll be ignoring the rest of this thread.
    mod - feel free to delete all my posts in this thread.