Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's wrong with ie 5.5

the following page:
    http://raphaeld.dotgeek.org/notable/...tabankform.php

looks great in ie 5.0 and ie 6.0, but it doesn't in ie 5.5
    So what's wrong? The formfield on the rightside of the page should just fit. It fits in ie 5.0 and ie 6.0, but it doesn't in ie 5.5 making the page look sloppy.

I can't use a hack here because, the hack affects both 5.0 and 5.5 and the problem exists only in 5.5.
    And I want to avoid hacking as much as possible

Anybody knows why? is there a solution?

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Had a look at your code but there were so many errors in there I'm surprised its working at all

If you run your code through the validator and fix all the extra/missing tags (as I'm sure you know where they go better than me). Also fix all those multiple <body> and <head> tags that are placed willy nilly around the place as well as the odd styles you have in the body.

Then I'll have a look and fix your original problem for you. Sound like a margin issue on your form may be involved.
    Code:
    form {margin:0;padding:0}
    Paul

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Paul

I cleaned up, (it's both valid html and css!)

The reason css and html was all over the source, was because i used php_includes in my page which referenced to another page (form.inc.php) with document-specific css tags defined and the body, ht
    ml and head tags still in there.

I stripped out the css and html in form.inc.php (in other words: I removed the css and I added it to the general linked css file which controls the whole site). So the source should be clean by now.

here's the new page:
    http://raphaeld.dotgeek.org/notable/...tabankform.php

and the linked css file:
    http://raphaeld.dotgeek.org/notable/css/common.css

I use a combination of one general linked css file and document-specific css, please tell me if you still see major flaws in the general css file.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Sorry I didn't get back to you but I was half way through this when the power went off yesterday and I lost everything

Now I can't be bothered to go through it all I again so I'm offering a quick fix

The code below will allow you to set the margin differently for ie5, ie5.5. and ie6. I've set it so it works locally but you may need to tweak the sizes a bit.

I've also taken the float out of bottom right as it wasn't needed and was making firfox break. Firefox is now working.
    Code:
    #orange{
    margin-top:19px;
    margin-left:15px;
    background-color:#FF6600;
    }
    * html #orange {margin-top:18px;}/* for ie5 */
    * html #orange {/*this makes ie5 miss the immediately following style block */
    voice-family: "\"}\""; voice-family:inherit;} 
    * html #orange {margin-top:-4px;ma\rgin-top:19px;}/* for ie5.5. and ie6 respectively */
    html>body #orange {margin-top:29px;}/* for mox */
    #bottomright {
     margin:0px;
     padding:0px;
    }
    If you have the time then the answer is to run through all the elements on that page and set their paddings and margins explicitly as you can't be exact if you dont do this as they all have different defaults.

This will probably mean stripping the page down to make sure everything is taken care of. As you already have loads of fixes for different things this will make it harder because the fixes may be upsetting things later on.

I notice you are giving ie5/5.5. different pixel font sizes and of course this will have an effect on height issues etc.

Anyway hope this helps.

Paul

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Paul,

I'll look at the code and fix it , obviously i still have a lot to learn